This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5147 / 51°30'53"N
Longitude: -0.7889 / 0°47'19"W
OS Eastings: 484136
OS Northings: 180229
OS Grid: SU841802
Mapcode National: GBR D6F.Z8W
Mapcode Global: VHDWQ.86T4
Entry Name: Littlewick Green War Memorial
Listing Date: 18 August 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1420085
Location: White Waltham, Windsor and Maidenhead, SL6
County: Windsor and Maidenhead
Civil Parish: White Waltham
Built-Up Area: Littlewick Green
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Burchetts Green
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Littlewick Green war memorial, erected in 1920, designed by S Slingsby Stallwood, FRIBA, FSA, Diocesan Surveyor.
War memorial, 1920 by S Slingsby Stallwood, FRIBA, FSA
The memorial, in the form of a calvary, stands in the angle between the chancel and north transept of the church of St John the Evangelist, and faces north.
It comprises the figure of the crucified Christ, carved in oak, on a teak cross surmounted by a timber canopy clad in shingles. It stands on a base of three York stone steps, set on a rough hewn rusticated stone plinth.
The upper stage is inscribed 'TO THE GLORY OF GOD/AND IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF LITTLEWICK GREEN /WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR, 1914-1919', followed below by the names of the Fallen above the inscription 'Requiescant in Pace'. The lower stage is inscribed 'Ye that live on 'mid English pastures green/Remember us, and think what might have been.'
A later inscription on the west face commemorates by name those from Littlewick Green who lost their lives during the Second World War, 1939-1945.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.
Littlewick Green War Memorial was designed by the architect S Slingsby Stallwood FRIBA, FSA. It was dedicated at a special service which was held at 3.15pm on Sunday 14th March 1920, officiated by the vicar, Rev. T. H. Wrenford, and was unveiled by Captain B. J. Ross, MC, late Sherwood Foresters.
Spencer Slingsby Stallwood (1842/3 -1922) set up in independent practice in Folkestone, Kent in 1873. He was later appointed Diocesan Surveyor of Berkshire, and practised in Reading.
Littlewick Green war memorial, erected in 1920, designed by S Slingsby Stallwood, FRIBA, FSA, Diocesan Surveyor, is listed for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a well-executed war memorial, in the form of a timber Calvary, with commemorative inscriptions on the stone base.
Other nearby listed buildings