History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Second World War Memorial, Church of St Barnabas

A Grade II Listed Building in Tuffley, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8404 / 51°50'25"N

Longitude: -2.2423 / 2°14'32"W

OS Eastings: 383402

OS Northings: 215777

OS Grid: SO834157

Mapcode National: GBR 1LC.HXH

Mapcode Global: VH94K.20YJ

Entry Name: Second World War Memorial, Church of St Barnabas

Listing Date: 29 May 2014

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1420087

Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

Electoral Ward/Division: Tuffley

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Tuffley St Barnabas

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Gloucester

Summary

A war memorial, constructed after 1945, in commemoration of the men of Tuffley who died in the Second World War. The surrounding hard landscaping of the Garden of Remembrance is not included.

Description

A war memorial, constructed after 1945, in commemoration of the men of Tuffley who died in the Second World War. The surrounding hard landscaping of the Garden of Remembrance is not included.

DESCRIPTION: a simple, timber cross set in a stone base with a moulded cap, to which is attached a bronze plaque bearing the dates 1939 – 1945, and giving the names of the sixteen Fallen of the parish from the Second World War. The base is set on a narrow, two-stepped platform.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 June 2017.

History

The Church of St Barnabas was built to serve the expanding suburban parish of Tuffley in 1938-40. The church was opened in September 1940, after the outbreak of the Second World War, and following that conflict, a war memorial was erected in the church gardens in memory of the men of the parish who lost their lives during the war. The memorial later became the central feature in the Garden of Remembrance which was laid out to the south and east of the church circa 1950 and altered in the early years of the C21.

Reasons for Listing

The Second World War memorial in the grounds of the Church of St Barnabas in Tuffley, excluding the surrounding hard landscaping of the Garden of Remembrance, is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community;
* Group value: with the Grade II* listed Church of St Barnabas, in whose grounds it stands.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.