This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.7791 / 53°46'44"N
Longitude: -2.2361 / 2°14'9"W
OS Eastings: 384541
OS Northings: 431444
OS Grid: SD845314
Mapcode National: GBR DSTR.P1
Mapcode Global: WHB83.M8FQ
Entry Name: Municipal boundary stone
Listing Date: 21 January 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1420229
Location: Burnley, Lancashire, BB11
Electoral Ward/Division: Rosehill with Burnley Wood
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Burnley
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Burnley St Stephen
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
A late-C19 sandstone municipal boundary stone with an attached cast iron plaque located on Hufling Lane, Burnley, close to the site of the former Towneley railway station.
A municipal boundary stone made of sandstone and erected in 1889 on the east side of Hufling Lane close to the site of the former Towneley railway station.
The round-headed stone pillar is approximately 1m tall. It has a moulded cast-iron plaque in the shape of a barbed quatrefoil set into its western face which, although weathered, contains in relief the coat of arms of Burnley surrounded by the lettering 'BURNLEY MUNICIPAL BOROUGH BOUNDARY 1889'.
The municipal boundary stone on Hufling Lane close to the site of the former Towneley railway station is one of a number of boundary stones erected by Burnley Council in the late C19. It dates to 1889 and is depicted on the Ordnance Survey 1:2500 Epoch 2 (1891-1921) map.
The municipal boundary stone at Hufling Lane, Burnley, erected in 1889, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: the boundary stone illustrates clearly the extent of Burnley's late C19 municipal boundary in this part of the town;
* Design quality: the boundary stone is in a well-detailed, Gothic style;
* Degree of intactness: the boundary stone remains unaltered and retains its cast iron plaque depicting the town's coat of arms;
* Relationship with other buildings or setting; this in situ boundary stone possesses group value due to its proximity and historical functional association with the town's late-C19 municipal boundary.
Other nearby listed buildings