This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3865 / 50°23'11"N
Longitude: -3.9236 / 3°55'25"W
OS Eastings: 263344
OS Northings: 55835
OS Grid: SX633558
Mapcode National: GBR Q6.S5W0
Mapcode Global: FRA 28N0.Z2Y
Entry Name: Ivybridge Aqueduct, and remains of the mill wheel house
Listing Date: 13 August 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1420955
Location: Ivybridge, South Hams, Devon, PL21
District: South Hams
Civil Parish: Ivybridge
Built-Up Area: Ivybridge
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Aqueduct and remains of the wheel house, a late C18 or early C19 structure, built to serve a woollen mill.
Aqueduct and remains of a mill wheel house, constructed in the late C18 or early C19, to serve a woollen mill.
MATERIALS: coursed squared granite rubble with red brick and some cement render.
PLAN: 12 arches, on a north/south alignment, serving an overshot wheel house, formerly part of the mill (now demolished). An overflow channel alongside the aqueduct on the east side is served by three sluices (only one of which is still in operation). At the south end, the aqueduct turns an angle to the south-west, towards the wheel house.
The Ivybridge AQUEDUCT consists of 12 round-headed arches, carrying a water channel to the wheel house of the former mill. The walls and arches were partly rebuilt in red brick in 1896, as evidenced by the cast-iron date over an arch. At the same time, a dentil coping of rounded bricks was added; this is incomplete. There are recessed panels above the arches. A substantial part of the west side, and the north-east part of the aqueduct, are rendered with cement. To the south end, in the angle, a narrow arch, with a wider arch at the south end, carrying the channel over the roadway towards the wheel house.
The remains of the MILL WHEEL HOUSE are in a ruinous condition. The walls, of slate random rubble, with squared granite and brick dressings, only partly remain; iron bars have been inserted to support the structure. Arched openings remain in the walls. The wheelpit is stopped, the wheel having been removed. A low wall with railing has been erected surrounding the north-western part of the wheelpit.
The Ivybridge Aqueduct was constructed in the late C18 or early C19 to serve John Berry's Woollen Mill, bringing water from the River Erme, which flows from the north-east. The aqueduct continued to supply water when the mill became a paper mill in 1849, becoming known as the Lower Mill. Circa 1927, an electricity generating plant in part of the old mill was served by the aqueduct; it finally fell out of use c1940.
The mill has been demolished, but the remains of the wheel house are in situ, and still connected with the aqueduct. The aqueduct has undergone substantial repairs and renewals during the course of its history. The aqueduct now stands within a landscaped area in a residential development.
The Ivybridge Aqueduct, and remains of the wheel house, a late C18 or early C19 structure built to serve a woollen mill, is recommended for listing at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: the aqueduct, built to serve a mill, originally a woollen mill, stands as a striking physical reminder of an aspect of Ivybridge's industrial history;
* Date: as a structure pre-dating 1840;
* Design interest: as a substantially built and striking aqueduct, with an element of design consideration in the recessed panels above the arches, and the late C19 dentil coping;
* Intactness: the structure remains largely intact, demonstrating its former use as part of a wider water-management system; the remains of the wheel house, though fragmentary, contribute to the legibility of the site.
Other nearby listed buildings