History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Cuthbert's clergy house

A Grade II Listed Building in Earl's Court, London

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4913 / 51°29'28"N

Longitude: -0.2009 / 0°12'3"W

OS Eastings: 525002

OS Northings: 178461

OS Grid: TQ250784

Mapcode National: GBR C9.N23

Mapcode Global: VHGQY.GSP4

Entry Name: St Cuthbert's clergy house

Listing Date: 22 September 2014

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1421478

Location: Kensington and Chelsea, London, SW5

County: London

District: Kensington and Chelsea

Electoral Ward/Division: Earl's Court

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Kensington and Chelsea

Traditional County: Middlesex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: St Cuthbert Philbeach Gardens

Church of England Diocese: London

Find accommodation in
Shepherds Bush

Summary

Clergy house, 1883 by Hugh Roumieu Gough.

Description

Clergy house, 1883 by Hugh Roumieu Gough.

MATERIALS: red brick with Bath stone dressings and slate roof.

PLAN: the clergy house is built on a tight L-plan and wraps around the (liturgical) north-west angle of the church. It is of three storeys above a half-basement. The ground floor comprises a broad entrance porch (which also gives access to the church), a large drawing-room alongside it on the street side and a dining-room and study behind, with bedrooms on the upper floors. A closet on the first floor contains a little oratory which overlooks the church's south aisle, and a narrow stairway leads from the second floor up to the west gallery of the nave.

EXTERIOR: the house is a tall, narrow building, set at a slight angle to the church and facing onto a side-street formerly known as Cluny Mews (now part of Philbeach Gardens). The street elevation is strongly asymmetrical, in a free domestic Gothic idiom characterised by the use of two- and three-light casement windows with trefoiled heads and brick or stone mullions. The projecting left-hand bay has a flat roof and a decorated parapet; it contains the porch, set in a Gothic-arched stone surround with angle-shafts. A stone St Cuthbert's cross is set into the brickwork above; a similar cross below and to the right of the door marks the foundation stone, inscribed June 2nd 1883. The hip-roofed right-hand bay contains the drawing room and principal bedrooms; the upper two floors are corbelled out to form a shallow oriel, the second-floor window having a tympanum filled with patterned brickwork.

INTERIORS: these are simple though little altered. Most rooms retain fireplaces, some with plain marble surrounds and decorative cast-iron grates, as well as four-panel doors, skirtings, dado rails etc. The curving stair has a simple timber balustrade with close-set turned uprights. The inner door to the porch has decorative strapwork hinges and a lion-headed door-knocker - the latter a copy of the sanctuary knocker at Durham cathedral.

EXCLUSIONS: the buildings of Philbeach Hall, of 1894 by Gough but much rebuilt by J Harold Gibbons in the 1950s, stand alongside the clergy house and form No. 51 Philbeach Gardens. They are not of special interest and are excluded from the listing.

History

The clergy house was built in 1883 to serve the adjoining church of St Cuthbert (q.v.), then under construction. The designer of both church and house was Hugh Roumieu Gough (1843-1904) the son and former pupil of the architect Alexander Dick Gough. Alongside the clergy house was built in 1894 a further complex of accommodation and church rooms, known as Philbeach Hall, with Gough again as the architect. These latter buildings, badly damaged by wartime bombing, were partly rebuilt in 1956-7 by J Harold Gibbons (1878-1958), who also restored the church; they are not of special interest and are excluded from the listing.

Reasons for Listing

St Cuthbert’s Clergy House, of 1883 by Hugh Roumieu Gough, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: an interesting and somewhat eccentric design for a large urban clergy house, built on a constricted site in the manner of a small Italian Gothic palazzo;
* Interiors and plan form: the building is little altered internally, retaining original fittings and, unusually, a number of doorways and passages opening into the church at various levels;
* Group value: the domestic Gothic style and restless asymmetry of the house provides an effective foil for the austere bulk of the church alongside.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.