History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ordsall War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in East Retford South, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3097 / 53°18'34"N

Longitude: -0.9451 / 0°56'42"W

OS Eastings: 470386

OS Northings: 379714

OS Grid: SK703797

Mapcode National: GBR PZV5.58

Mapcode Global: WHFGG.G25K

Entry Name: Ordsall War Memorial

Listing Date: 9 December 2014

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1421762

Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Electoral Ward/Division: East Retford South

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Retford

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Ordsall

Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham

Find accommodation in
East Retford

Summary

War memorial, unveiled in 1951.

Description

War memorial, unveiled in 1951.

Standing c.1.25m high, the memorial was based on St Columb’s Cross (in St Columb Major, Cornwall), where the granite for the memorial was quarried and it was carved. It comprises a Celtic wheel-head cross on a short shaft rising from a roughly-finished tapering plinth. A panel on the front has the lead-letter inscription: 1914-1918/ 1939-1945/ IN PROUD REMEMBRANCE OF THOSE WHO DID NOT RETURN. No names are given.

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.

History

The war memorial, in remembrance of local men lost in both world wars, was unveiled on 25 March 1951 with a dedication by the rector, the Revd CHB Watson. It replaced a timber cross dedicated on 16 October 1949; on the same date in 1949 a memorial window was dedicated in All Hallows’ church.

Reasons for Listing

Ordsall War Memorial, in the churchyard of the church of All Hallows, unveiled in 1951, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Group value: conferred by its close proximity to the church of All Hallows (Grade II*), and Ordsall House (Grade II).

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.