This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4075 / 53°24'27"N
Longitude: -0.9025 / 0°54'9"W
OS Eastings: 473056
OS Northings: 390637
OS Grid: SK730906
Mapcode National: GBR QY41.D7
Mapcode Global: WHFFX.3MH3
Entry Name: Gringley on the Hill War Memorial
Listing Date: 8 December 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421763
Location: Gringley on the Hill, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN10
Civil Parish: Gringley on the Hill
Built-Up Area: Gringley on the Hill
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Gringley-on-the-Hill
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial, unveiled in 1920.
War memorial, unveiled in 1920, designed and made by Sharpe and Hoggard of Retford.
The memorial comprises a medieval-style Portland stone cross, its cross-head elaborated and with a carved ‘sword of liberty’ running from it down the upper part of the slender octagonal shaft. At its base the shaft steps outwards, and stands on a hexagonal plinth which carries carved inscriptions enhanced by black lettering. These read LEST WE FORGET/ TO THE GLORIOUS AND EVERLASTING MEMORY OF THE YOUNG MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 (names)/ ALSO THE WORLD WAR 1939-1945 (names). Beneath the plinth the base steps outwards still further, with a narrow bench-like projection at knee height.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
The war memorial, in remembrance of men from Gringley on the Hill lost in the First World War, was unveiled by the Duke of Portland on 20 November 1920, with a dedication by the vicar, the Revd S Howard Hayward. It was designed and made by Sharpe & Hoggard of Retford at a cost of £155. The names of those who fell in the Second World War were added after 1945.
The war memorial by Sharpe and Hoggard of Retford and unveiled in 1920, Mill Hill Cemetery, Gringley on the Hill, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest; for its thoughtful and well-executed design;
* Group value: conferred by its close proximity to Gringley windmill and Mill House, both listed at Grade II.
Other nearby listed buildings