This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3727 / 53°22'21"N
Longitude: -1.0592 / 1°3'33"W
OS Eastings: 462690
OS Northings: 386617
OS Grid: SK626866
Mapcode National: GBR PY1F.HP
Mapcode Global: WHFG0.PHT8
Entry Name: Blyth and Hodsock War Memorial
Listing Date: 8 December 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421764
Location: Blyth, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S81
Civil Parish: Blyth
Built-Up Area: Blyth (Bassetlaw)
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Blyth
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial, unveiled in 1922.
War memorial unveiled in 1922, designed by Charles Spooner of London.
The memorial, in a light coloured Cornish granite, comprises a tall, tapering, octagonal shaft surmounted with a Latin cross set beneath a gable, with a red-painted cross of St George on a raised shield beneath. The shaft is set on a tapering octagonal plinth inscribed on the front face: IN HONOURED MEMORY OF THE MEN OF BLYTH AND HODSOCK/ WHO FELL SERVING THEIR KING AND COUNTRY IN THE YEARS OF OUR LORD 1914 – 1918 with the 26 names of those who fell on three further faces. A fifth face records the names of the four men who fell 1939-1945. The plinth itself stands on a two-stage shallow octagonal base, the upper step of which is inscribed THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE, THEY LIVE UNTO GOD.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
The war memorial, in remembrance of the men of Blyth and Hodsock lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 17 December 1922 and dedicated by the vicar of Blyth, the Revd AL Phillips. It was designed by Charles Spooner (1862-1938) of London, and made by Lidster & Brammer of Worksop. The names of those who fell from the parish in the Second World War were added after 1945.
The war memorial, standing to the front of the cemetery in Spital Road, Blyth, designed by Charles Spooner and unveiled in 1922, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: as an elegantly designed war memorial with finely carved details.
Other nearby listed buildings