This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2611 / 53°15'40"N
Longitude: -0.7813 / 0°46'52"W
OS Eastings: 481390
OS Northings: 374486
OS Grid: SK813744
Mapcode National: GBR QZZQ.NP
Mapcode Global: WHFGQ.Z938
Entry Name: Dunham-on-Trent, Ragnall and Darlton War Memorial
Listing Date: 9 December 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421765
Location: Dunham-on-Trent, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, NG22
Civil Parish: Dunham-on-Trent
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: East Drayton with Dunham-on-Trent, Darlton, Ragnall and Fledborough
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial, unveiled in 1921.
War memorial, unveiled in 1921, designed by Sharpe and Hoggard of Retford.
The memorial comprises a 4m high Aberdeen granite Latin cross, the cross-head itself carved with draped laurel leaves, a cap and ammunition pouches at the head of a square-sectioned shaft. This rises from a plinth which carries trefoil-headed grey slate tablets on all four sides with incised gold lettering on each. Originally only the front tablet (north west face) was inscribed with the names of those from Dunham parish who fell in the First World War. Following the Second World War, the tablet on the left side (north-east face) was inscribed with those lost in that war. In 1998, the tablet on the right side (south -west face) was inscribed with the names of those lost in the First World War from the neighbouring village of Ragnall. Since then (date unknown), the tablet on the rear side (south-east face) was inscribed with the names of those lost in the First World War from the nearby village of Darlton. The plinth stands on a three-stepped square base.
The Inscriptions are (front) LEST WE FORGET/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD, AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 (15 names) /THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE; (left side) LEST WE FORGET / TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND TO THE MEMORY OF THE MEN WHO FELL IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR, 1939-1945 (3 names) /THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE; (right side) LEST WE FORGET /TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF RAGNALL WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR, 1914-1918 (5 names); (rear) LEST WE FORGET /TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF DARLTON WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR, 1914-1918 (5 names).
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
The war memorial, originally in remembrance of men from Dunham-on-Trent lost in the First World War, was unveiled by ex-servicemen on 22 June 1921. It was made by Sharpe and Hoggard of Retford (Notts.). An additional inscription was added after the Second World War naming the men lost then. In 1998, an inscription was added for those men lost in the First World War from the adjoining village of Ragnall. Since then (date unknown), an inscription was added for those men lost in the First World War from the nearby village of Darlton.
Dunham-on-Trent, Ragnall and Darlton war memorial by Sharpe and Hoggard of Retford, unveiled in 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on two local communities, and the sacrifices they made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest; for its poignant and well-executed design;
* Group value: conferred by its close proximity to the Bridge Inn and Wilmot House, both listed at Grade II.
Other nearby listed buildings