This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3642 / 53°21'51"N
Longitude: -0.8567 / 0°51'24"W
OS Eastings: 476179
OS Northings: 385865
OS Grid: SK761858
Mapcode National: GBR QYGJ.BR
Mapcode Global: WHFG3.TP7T
Entry Name: North and South Wheatley War Memorial
Listing Date: 9 December 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421766
Location: North Wheatley, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22
Civil Parish: North and South Wheatley
Built-Up Area: North Wheatley
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: North Wheatley
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial, unveiled 1920.
War memorial, unveiled in 1920, designed and made by Jones and Willis of Birmingham.
The memorial, in white Hollington sandstone, comprises a cross, with the Christ crucified carved in relief. This stands atop an octagonal shaft set on an octagonal plinth. This stands at the head of a three-stepped octagonal base, set on a square lower base. A bronze plaque (a later replacement introduced in place of the original, eroded inscription) on the plinth carries the words: ERECTED TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF MEN OF NORTH AND SOUTH WHEATLEY WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES FOR KING AND COUNTRY IN THE GREAT EUROPEAN WAR, 1914-1918.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 10 August 2017.
The war memorial, in remembrance of the men of North and South Wheatley lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 28 July 1920 by WH Mason, JP, of Morton Hall and dedicated by the vicar, the Revd FWJ Daniels. It was designed and made by Jones & Willis of Birmingham, and erected by R Haighway. It cost £200.
North and South Wheatley war memorial, unveiled in 1920 and located in the churchyard of the church of St Peter and St Paul, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Group value: for its close proximity to the Grade II* listed Church of St Peter & St Paul and the churchyard wall, listed at Grade II.
Other nearby listed buildings