This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4093 / 53°24'33"N
Longitude: -0.9618 / 0°57'42"W
OS Eastings: 469108
OS Northings: 390775
OS Grid: SK691907
Mapcode National: GBR PYQ0.KL
Mapcode Global: WHFFW.6K7Q
Entry Name: Everton and Scaftworth War Memorial
Listing Date: 9 December 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421768
Location: Everton, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN10
Civil Parish: Everton
Built-Up Area: Everton (Bassetlaw)
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Everton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial, unveiled in 1922.
War memorial by Tyas and Guest, unveiled in 1922.
The memorial comprises a blue granite cross on a square-sectioned plinth, standing on a concrete base. The cross-head is emphasised by a raised Celtic cross design, while the base of the shaft splays, and carries a carved wreath. The cross stands on a blue granite plinth carrying the names of those who fell in the First World War on the east face, and those who died in the Second World War on the west. The latter carries the inscription LEST WE FORGET/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN EVER GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF EVERTON & SCAFTWORTH WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ERECTED BY THE PARISHIONERS OF EVERTON & SCAFTWORTH.The plinth itself stands on a three-stepped Portland stone base (where the name of Tyas and Guest is carved); corner posts on the lowest step are missing.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
The war memorial, in remembrance of men from Everton, and Scaftworth (a village and township in Everton) lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 30 July 1922. The unveiling was by Gen. Sir Joseph Laycock, KCMG, DSO, a notable Nottinghamshire soldier and Olympic sportsman, and the dedication by the vicar, the Revd S Curtis. It was designed and made by Tyas & Guest (of Swinton) at a cost of approximately £300.
The war memorial, in Everton Cemetery, Mattersley Road, Everton, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on two local communities, and the sacrifices they made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: the memorial is a thoughtfully designed Celtic cross with good carved details.
Other nearby listed buildings