This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3664 / 53°21'58"N
Longitude: -0.9614 / 0°57'41"W
OS Eastings: 469205
OS Northings: 386003
OS Grid: SK692860
Mapcode National: GBR PYQH.NZ
Mapcode Global: WHFG2.6NF4
Entry Name: Lound War Memorial
Listing Date: 9 December 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421770
Location: Lound, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22
Civil Parish: Lound
Built-Up Area: Lound
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Sutton-cum-Lound
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial, unveiled in 1920.
War memorial unveiled in 1920, designed by Sharpe and Hoggard of Retford.
The memorial comprises a light grey Scottish granite obelisk with a splayed base on a darker grey granite plinth carrying the memorial inscription, that reads on the principal east face: TO/ THE GLORY OF GOD AND/ IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF/ THE YOUNG MEN OF THIS/ PARISH WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914 - 1918/ (names)/ 1939 - 1945/ (names); and on the other three faces THOSE WHO SERVED (names). The plinth stands on a two-stepped base of the same light stone as the obelisk.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
The war memorial, in remembrance of men from Lound lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 14 August 1921 by Mrs Huntsman of Lound Hall, and dedicated by the Revd CN Hatfield. It was designed and made by Sharpe and Hoggard (of Retford) at a cost of roughly £200 on ground given by the Duke of Portland. The memorial was originally surrounded by walls and railings; those had been removed by the 1970s.
The war memorial, on the village green, Town Street, Lound, designed by Sharpe and Hoggard of Retford and unveiled in 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: it has a thoughtful design in the form of a simple obelisk;
* Group value: is conferred by its close proximity to two listed buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings