This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.4096 / 53°24'34"N
Longitude: -1.0201 / 1°1'12"W
OS Eastings: 465235
OS Northings: 390754
OS Grid: SK652907
Mapcode National: GBR PY90.YH
Mapcode Global: WHFFV.9KHH
Entry Name: Scrooby War Memorial
Listing Date: 8 December 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421773
Location: Scrooby, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN10
Civil Parish: Scrooby
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Scrooby with Ranskill
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial, unveiled in 1920.
War memorial, unveiled in 1920, designed and made by Clarkson and Co. of Rotherham.
The grey polished grey granite memorial comprises a broken column set on a tapering plinth, itself set on two-stage square base itself set on a single-step base. The lightly incised inscription, running downwards from the lower section of the obelisk over the plinths, reads: 1914-1919/ IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN WHO DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR (6 names) THE PRICE OF VICTORY.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
The war memorial, in remembrance of men of Scrooby lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 5 June 1920 by Mr FL Wilkinson, a churchwarden, and dedicated by the vicar, the Rev LA Williams. It was made by Clarkson and Co (of Rotherham). Cost was £91.
Scrooby war memorial by Clarkson and Co of Rotherham, unveiled in 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest; for its poignant and well-executed design;
* Group value: its close proximity with the church of St Wilfrid (Grade II*), and the Old Vicarage and churchyard wall (both Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings