This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3503 / 53°21'1"N
Longitude: -1.1153 / 1°6'54"W
OS Eastings: 458990
OS Northings: 384082
OS Grid: SK589840
Mapcode National: GBR NYNP.BQ
Mapcode Global: WHDF1.V13W
Entry Name: Carlton in Lindrick War Memorial
Listing Date: 8 December 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421774
Location: Carlton in Lindrick, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S81
Civil Parish: Carlton in Lindrick
Built-Up Area: Carlton in Lindrick
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Carlton-in-Lindrick
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial, unveiled in 1921.
War memorial,designed by Allen Foxley, unveiled in 1921.
The memorial, of Clipsham limestone, comprises a medieval-style cross, with an elaborate Greek cross-head set on a tall, narrow, shaft rising from an octagonal plinth with bronze plaques carrying the inscriptions: TO THE GLORY/ OF GOD AND TO/ THE HONOURED/ MEMORY OF THE/ CARLTON MEN/ WHO SACRIFICED/ THEIR LIVES FOR/ THEIR COUNTRY/ & FOR THE RIGHT/ 1914 - 1918 (15 names of those who fell in the First World War; and 1939-1945 (11 names of those who fell in the Second World War) .
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
The war memorial, in remembrance of the men of Carlton in Lindrick lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 8 February 1921 by Capt WCC Weetman and dedicated by the Rector of Carlton, the Revd WH Deane. It was designed by Allen Foxley and constructed by Bowman (of Stamford). The names of those who fell from the parish in the Second World War were added in 1948. The war memorial was restored and rededicated in 2009.
The war memorial designed by Allan Foxley, located at the junction of Church Lane and High Road (A60), Carlton in Lindrick and unveiled in 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: the memorial is thoughtfully designed with finely carved details to the Greek cross.
Other nearby listed buildings