This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3191 / 53°19'8"N
Longitude: -0.9368 / 0°56'12"W
OS Eastings: 470922
OS Northings: 380766
OS Grid: SK709807
Mapcode National: GBR PZW1.ZX
Mapcode Global: WHFG8.LT3W
Entry Name: Fives Court War Memorial
Listing Date: 7 January 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421776
Location: Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22
Electoral Ward/Division: East Retford East
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Retford
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Retford Team
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial Fives Court, erected in memory of Capt William Eyre, and unveiled in 1924.
Fives Court war memorial, erected 1924.
MATERIALS: brick with stone copings.
DESCRIPTION: the Fives Court is of the ‘Rugby Fives’ type. Of red brick, it has a 4m high back wall and left- and right-hand stone-coped walls which curve downwards to pillar-like stops to the front. On the exterior of the left flank wall is a dedication stone which reads: IN MEMORY OF CAPT. WILLIAM EYRE,/ WHO DIED OF WOUNDS/ AUGUST 19th 1916/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.
The interior is rendered, and painted in grey and blue bands. It has a hard floor.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 10 August 2017.
The memorial Fives Court was erected in memory of Capt William Eyre of the Lancashire Fusiliers, a former pupil and teacher, who died of wounds at Gallipoli on 19 August 1915 (not 1916 as the dedication plaque erroneously records). It was paid for by Mrs Mary Eyre, Capt Eyre’s mother, and unveiled on 20 October 1924 by the Mayor of Retford, Cllr JR Plant.
The Fives Court is located to the north-east of the front range of the grammar school built in 1855 and listed at Grade II in 1976 (NHLE 240932). The school's boundary wall next to London Road is also listed at Grade II.
The Fives Court, at King Edward VI School, London Road, Retford, unveiled in 1924 is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an unusual and poignant memorial to Capt William Eyre, who died of wounds in August 1915;
* Group value: for group value with the Grade II-listed former King Edward VI School, within the grounds of which it stands.
Other nearby listed buildings