This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3499 / 53°20'59"N
Longitude: -0.909 / 0°54'32"W
OS Eastings: 472724
OS Northings: 384219
OS Grid: SK727842
Mapcode National: GBR QY3P.0W
Mapcode Global: WHFG9.02F7
Entry Name: Hayton War Memorial
Listing Date: 8 December 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421777
Location: Hayton, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22
Civil Parish: Hayton
Built-Up Area: Clarborough
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Hayton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial, unveiled in 1921.
War memorial unveiled in 1921, by Sharpe and Hoggard of Retford.
The memorial comprises a 2m high stone obelisk, which splays at the base to form a plinth, itself standing on a low stone base. The first part of the memorial inscription runs down the lower part of the obelisk. It reads: ERECTED BY THE PARISHIONERS OF HAYTON WITH TILN IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE YOUNG MEN FROM THIS PARISH WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918 . Beneath, on the plinth, the inscription carries on with (NAMES)/ DECEMBER 1920/ ‘GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS THAT HE LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS’ JOHN 15.13.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
The war memorial, in remembrance of men from Hayton and the nearby hamlet of Tiln lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 5 January 1921 by the vicar of Hayton, the Rev CB Collinson and dedicated by the Archdeacon of Newark, the Ven Egbert Hacking. It was designed and made by Sharpe & Hoggard (of Retford).
The war memorial by Sharpe and Hoggard of Retford, in the churchyard of the Church of St Peter, Hayton, unveiled in 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: it is a thoughtful design in the form of a stone obelisk;
* Group value: conferred by its close proximity to the Grade I listed church of St Peter.
Other nearby listed buildings