This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3307 / 53°19'50"N
Longitude: -0.8172 / 0°49'1"W
OS Eastings: 478866
OS Northings: 382186
OS Grid: SK788821
Mapcode National: GBR QYQX.WR
Mapcode Global: WHFGB.FJ2Y
Entry Name: North Leverton War Memorial
Listing Date: 9 December 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421778
Location: North Leverton with Habblesthorpe, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22
Civil Parish: North Leverton with Habblestho
Built-Up Area: North Leverton with Habblestho
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: North Leverton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial, unveiled in 1921.
War memorial unveiled in 1921, designed by Sharpe and Hoggard of Retford.
The grey polished granite memorial comprises a short obelisk set on a main plinth, itself set on a squatter lower plinth on a single-step base. The lightly incised inscription on the south face reads: TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF (names and dates) WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS THAT HE LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS and on the west face IN THE GREAT WAR 1939-1945 (names and dates). On the west face of the lower plinth is carved SHARPE & HOGGARD.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 July 2017.
The war memorial, in remembrance of men from North Leverton lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 27 January 1921 by Brig Gen Sir Joseph Laycock, KCMG, DSO, of Wiseton Hall, a notable Nottinghamshire soldier and Olympian, and dedicated by the vicar, the Rev DT Rees. It was designed and made by Sharpe & Hoggard (of Retford).
North Leverton war memorial, designed by Sharpe and Hoggard and unveiled in 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: as a simple but poignant design of war memorial;
* Group value: is conferred by its close proximity to Yew Tree Farm House, stables and barn, all listed at Grade II.
Other nearby listed buildings