This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3916 / 53°23'29"N
Longitude: -1.1184 / 1°7'6"W
OS Eastings: 458724
OS Northings: 388667
OS Grid: SK587886
Mapcode National: GBR NYM6.NX
Mapcode Global: WHDDV.S0LR
Entry Name: Oldcotes War Memorial
Listing Date: 8 December 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421780
Location: Styrrup with Oldcotes, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S81
Civil Parish: Styrrup with Oldcotes
Built-Up Area: Oldcotes
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Langold with Oldcotes
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial, unveiled in 1920.
War memorial by A.H Borrowdale, unveiled in 1920.
The memorial, of grey granite, comprises a broken column with a sheathed sword and a wreath carved in relief on its lower part. It stands on a tapering, rusticated plinth, its front face carrying the inscription GREAT WAR 1914-1919/ THIS COLUMN WAS ERECTED BY/ THE PEOPLE OF OLDCOTES/ IN MEMOROY OF THE FALLEN (4 names)/ ‘GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS’. The plinth stands on a three-stage stepped base. Standing centrally on the second step is a stone flower holder inscribed to the memory of an RAF sergeant (d. 1954).
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
The war memorial, in remembrance of the men of Oldcotes lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 18 July 1920 by Col H Mellish, CB, of Hodsock Priory and dedicated by the vicar of Harworth, the Revd F d’Arblay Burney. It was designed and made by AH Borrowdale of Worksop.
Oldcotes war memorial designed by A.H Borrowdale and unveiled in 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest; for its poignant and well-executed design;
* Group value: conferred by its close proximity to the church of St Mark and the Old Hall, both listed at Grade II.
Other nearby listed buildings