This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2744 / 53°16'27"N
Longitude: -1.0456 / 1°2'44"W
OS Eastings: 463739
OS Northings: 375691
OS Grid: SK637756
Mapcode National: GBR PZ4K.FY
Mapcode Global: WHFGD.XY8N
Entry Name: Hardwick War Memorial and screen wall
Listing Date: 8 December 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421781
Location: Clumber and Hardwick, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, S80
Civil Parish: Clumber and Hardwick
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Worksop Priory with Carburton
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial, unveiled 1918.
War memorial, unveiled in 1918 and designed by W E Tower.
EXTERIOR: the memorial comprises a 3.5 m tall Clipsham stone Calvary on an angular plinth, itself set on a one-stage base. Bronze plaques on the plinth, base, and the wall behind are inscribed OF YOUR CHARITY PRAY FOR THE REPOSE OF THE SOULS OF THOSE OUR COUNTRYMEN & ALLIES WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR ESPECIALLY REMEMBERING THOSE OF THE CLUMBER ESTATE WHOSE NAMES ARE HERE RECORDED/ (18 names) /AND FOR ALL THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN WORLD WAR II & ESPECIALLY REMEMBERING/ (6 names)/ REST ETERNAL/ GRANT UNTO THEM/ O LORD/ AND LET LIGHT/ PERPETUAL/ SHINE UPON THEM/ AMEN
SUBSIDIARY FEATURE: behind the Calvary is an ashlar screen wall, ramped to the centre and with short flanking walls, all with triangular coping. A low stone kerb defines the front of the memorial ground.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
The war memorial, in remembrance of the men of the Clumber estate lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 25 September 1918 by the Duke of Newcastle and dedicated by the Rt Revd Edwyn Hoskyns, the Bishop of Southwell. It was designed by W E Tower, and made by William D Gough, both of London. The names of those who fell in the Second World War were added after it.
Hardwick war memorial, unveiled in 1918, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: the memorial is thoughtfully designed with good carved detailing;
* Group value: the memorial is prominently located within Clumber Park, a designed landscape registered at Grade I, and has additional group value with a number of listed buildings including The Chantry (Grade II).
Other nearby listed buildings