This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2123 / 53°12'44"N
Longitude: -0.8171 / 0°49'1"W
OS Eastings: 479092
OS Northings: 369012
OS Grid: SK790690
Mapcode National: GBR CJW.Q6S
Mapcode Global: WHFGX.FJ47
Entry Name: Normanton on Trent War Memorial
Listing Date: 9 December 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421782
Location: Normanton on Trent, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, NG23
Civil Parish: Normanton on Trent
Built-Up Area: Normanton on Trent
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Normanton-upon-Trent
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial, unveiled in 1921.
War memorial, unveiled in 1921, by Sharpe and Hoggard of Retford.
The memorial, in granite, comprises a short obelisk, with a small laurel wreath in relief, on a plinth set on a three-stepped base. The inscription on the front (east face), in lead lettering, reads (on the lower section of the obelisk): TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN GLORIOUS MEMORY OF THE YOUNG MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 (9 names) (and on the plinth) GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN/ THAN THIS, THAT A MAN/ LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS. ST JOHN 15.13. On the side (south face) of the plinth is a further leaded inscription giving the name of one man lost in the Second World War.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
The war memorial, in remembrance of men from Normanton on Trent lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 14 April 1921 by Col OJ Huskison and dedicated by the vicar, the Rev EM Turner. It was designed and made by Sharpe and Hoggard (of Retford) at a cost of £130.
The war memorial, in the churchyard of the Church of St Matthew, Normanton on Trent, designed by Sharpe and Hoggard and unveiled in 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: as a simple but poignant design of war memorial;
* Group value: conferred by its close proximity to the Grade II* listed Church of St Matthew, and a number of other listed buildings nearby including the Old School and Normanton Hall, both listed at Grade II.
Other nearby listed buildings