This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3459 / 53°20'45"N
Longitude: -0.8182 / 0°49'5"W
OS Eastings: 478772
OS Northings: 383878
OS Grid: SK787838
Mapcode National: GBR QYQR.N9
Mapcode Global: WHFGB.D5M8
Entry Name: Sturton le Steeple War Memorial
Listing Date: 9 December 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421785
Location: Sturton Le Steeple, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22
Civil Parish: Sturton le Steeple
Built-Up Area: Sturton le Steeple
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Sturton with Littleborough
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial, unveiled 1921.
War memorial by Austin and Paley, unveiled in 1921.
The Darley Dale stone memorial comprises a medieval-style shafted cross set on a hexagonal plinth, which itself stands on a three-stage stepped circular base. The inscription is on the front face of the plinth, in raised lettering, beneath a raised laurel wreath. It reads THEIR NAME SHALL RESOUND FROM GENERATION TO GENERATION/TO THE HONOURED MEMORY OF THE MEN OF STURTON WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 (names) and 1939-1945 (names).
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 July 2017.
The war memorial, in remembrance of men of Sturton le Steeple lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 2 June 1921 by Capt EWS Foljambe of Osberton Hall, and dedicated by the Archdeacon of Newark, the Ven Egbert Hacking. It was designed by Austin & Paley (of Lancaster) and made by A.O. Thoms (also of Lancaster). The names of those who fell in the Second World War were added after 1945.
The war memorial, in the churchyard of St Peter and St Paul’s church, Church Street, Sturton le Steeple, designed by Austin and Paley and unveiled in 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: as an elegantly designed war memorial with finely carved details;
* Group value: conferred by its close proximity to the Grade II* listed Church of St Peter and St Paul, and both the churchyard wall and Church Farm House, listed at Grade II.
Other nearby listed buildings