History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Nether Langwith War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Nether Langwith, Nottinghamshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2282 / 53°13'41"N

Longitude: -1.2008 / 1°12'2"W

OS Eastings: 453451

OS Northings: 370431

OS Grid: SK534704

Mapcode National: GBR 8D6.P6S

Mapcode Global: WHDFL.J3FZ

Entry Name: Nether Langwith War Memorial

Listing Date: 9 December 2014

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1421787

Location: Nether Langwith, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, NG20

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

Civil Parish: Nether Langwith

Built-Up Area: Langwith

Traditional County: Nottinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire

Church of England Parish: Whaley Thorns St Luke

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Clowne

Summary

War memorial, unveiled in 1920. Restored and re-dedicated in 2012-3.

Description

War memorial, unveiled in 1920. Restored and re-dedicated in 2012-3.
The memorial, of Roche Abbey stone, comprises a rough-hewn Celtic cross set on a boulder-like plinth, its front face smooth and carrying the names of the men commemorated. An inverted sword of remembrance is carved on the upper part of the cross shaft, while the lower part of the shaft carries the inscription TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN HONOURED MEMORY OF (on the north side) and 1914-1918 (on the south side). The plinth stands on a base of large, rough-hewn slabs. The plinth carries inscriptions on the north and south sides - the inscription on the south side gives the 12 names of the men lost, together with 1914-1918, while the inscription on the north side reads ALSO IN HONOURED MEMORY OF (4 names) / 1939-1945.”

This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.

History

The war memorial, in remembrance of the men of Nether Langwith lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 8 August 1920 by Mrs Warner Turner of Cuckney House and dedicated by the vicar, the Revd J W Smith. The monument was designed and constructed by Lidster & Brammer of Worksop. The monument was restored and re-dedicated in 2012/3. The memorial steps were replaced and a flagstone base and renovated fence were installed around the memorial. A new plaque commemorating the fallen of the Second World War was added.

Reasons for Listing

The war memorial, on the village green on Main Road, Nether Langwith, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: the memorial is a thoughtfully designed Celtic cross with good carved detailing;
* Group value: for its proximity to the Jug and Glass Inn and Brook House farm, both listed at Grade II.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.