This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3083 / 53°18'29"N
Longitude: -0.8931 / 0°53'34"W
OS Eastings: 473855
OS Northings: 379611
OS Grid: SK738796
Mapcode National: GBR QZ65.GS
Mapcode Global: WHFGH.73ZM
Entry Name: Grove War Memorial
Listing Date: 12 February 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1421788
Location: Grove, Bassetlaw, Nottinghamshire, DN22
Civil Parish: Grove
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Grove
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
War memorial, unveiled 1923.
The memorial comprises a medieval-style granite cross, its elaborated cross-head set on a collar atop a heptagonal column, which at its base splays outwards onto a heptagonal plinth. An inscription is incised onto three of the plinth’s seven faces. It reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN HONOUR OF THOSE WHO SERVED/ IN THE GREAT WAR ON LAND AND SEA/ 1914-1918. No names are recorded.
The memorial stands on a grassy knoll; it is approached by two flights of stone-flagged steps which are included in the listing.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 24 January 2017.
The war memorial, in remembrance of men from Grove lost in the First World War, was unveiled by Lt Col Percy Robert Clifton, CMG, DSO, a notable Nottinghamshire soldier, on 11 November 1923. The dedication was by the vicar, the Revd AK Moore. It was designed and made by the Art Memorial Company (of West Norwood, London), and paid for by public subscription.
Grove war memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: an elegant design by the Art Memorial Company.