This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.1265 / 51°7'35"N
Longitude: 1.3172 / 1°19'1"E
OS Eastings: 632207
OS Northings: 141588
OS Grid: TR322415
Mapcode National: GBR X2Z.9TV
Mapcode Global: VHLHB.SY6B
Entry Name: Nos.5, 5a and 5b Castle Hill Road
Listing Date: 22 September 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1422135
Location: Dover, Dover, Kent, CT16
Civil Parish: Dover
Built-Up Area: Dover
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Built circa 1868, as an annexe to Castle Hill House, by Wollaston Knocker as town clerk's offices.
Built circa 1868, as an annexe to Castle Hill House, by Wollaston Knocker, the owner of Castle Hill House, as town clerk's offices.
MATERIALS: yellow brick with red brick voussoirs and a slate roof, concealed under a parapet on the north-east side.
PLAN: two storeys and four bays with a side entrance.
EXTERIOR: the north-east entrance front to no. 5 has a parapet and a plain band between the floors. The sash windows have horns and vertical glazing bars only. At the southern end is a two-storey one-bay C18 section with a first floor six-over-six sash window with red brick voussoirs,and a ground floor entrance with a bracket cornice, reeded pilasters and panelled reveals. The south-west side has sash windows, with verticals only, to the first and second floors.
INTERIOR: no. 5 has a straight flight staircase with moulded balusters and a turned newel post. One window on the first floor rear elevation retains wooden shutters similar to no. 7. The basement has a barrel-vaulted strong room about 15 by 12ft with a six inch thick locking iron door. At the far end of this is a blocked tunnel which leads into the air raid shelter room of Castle Hill House.
The site was formerly part of the grounds of Castle Hill House, no. 7 Castle Hill Road (Grade II*). In 1868 the owner of Castle Hill House, Wollaston Knocker, a solicitor, was appointed town clerk of Dover in 1868. He built this property as an annexe onto his house Castle Hill House, from which he ran the town council.
When he died in 1907 his son Reginald became town clerk of Dover, but he sold the property. In the 1930s the office was let to Kent County Council and the Premier Dance Company.
5, 5a and 5b Castle Hill Road, built circa 1868 by Wollaston Knocker, Town Clerk of Dover as an annexe to Castle Hill House, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Architectural interest: externally unaltered purpose-built town clerk's offices mainly of 1868 but part dating from 1760;
* Rarity of type: it is very rare for a town clerk to build town clerk's offices onto his private house;
* Group value: built as an annexe to Castle Hill House, no. 7 Castle Hill Road, and internally linked with it.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings