History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Slate boundary wall

A Grade II Listed Building in Bisham, Windsor and Maidenhead

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5513 / 51°33'4"N

Longitude: -0.7904 / 0°47'25"W

OS Eastings: 483964

OS Northings: 184299

OS Grid: SU839842

Mapcode National: GBR D61.QZ6

Mapcode Global: VHDWJ.880L

Entry Name: Slate boundary wall

Listing Date: 25 September 2003

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1422375

Location: Bisham, Windsor and Maidenhead, SL7

County: Windsor and Maidenhead

Civil Parish: Bisham

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Great Marlow with Marlow Bottom, Little Marlow and Bisham

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Marlow

Listing Text

1212/0/10019

BISHAM, Temple,
Slate boundary wall

II


Boundary wall or fence made of slate uprights, approx. 150m long. Welsh slate, probably from the Penrhyn Quarry, Bethesda, Gwynedd. Probably erected c1790 as part of the Temple House estate. The thin sawn boards of slate have roughly rounded tops, and are linked together with timber rails. Larger square uprights are placed at intervals along the fence to provide support: these show signs of having been machine-cut with a circular saw, and may date from a later mid C19 phase.

HISTORY: Temple House (now demolished) was built in 1790 by Samuel Wyatt for an Anglesey mill owner named Thomas Williams. Wyatt's brother was agent to Lord Penrhyn, owner of the principal slate quarry, and the Wyatt dynasty promoted the use of Welsh slate in many of their architectural commissions. This is a seemingly unique instance of slate being used in an English context for fencing, and shows the spread of this native Welsh technique to England as a consequence of the Industrial Revolution.

SOURCES: unpublished report by Dr Dafydd Roberts of the Welsh Slate Museum, Llanberis (2003); D. Wilson & B. Boulter, 'Temple Mills, Bisham, Berkshire' (Maidenhead Archaeological and Historical Society, 1974); J.M. Robinson, 'The Wyatts. An Architectural Dynasty' (Oxford 1979).

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.