This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9342 / 50°56'2"N
Longitude: -2.8842 / 2°53'3"W
OS Eastings: 337959
OS Northings: 115340
OS Grid: ST379153
Mapcode National: GBR MB.PH3N
Mapcode Global: FRA 46VM.VJ0
Entry Name: Whitelackington War Memorial
Listing Date: 11 November 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1422491
Location: Whitelackington, South Somerset, Somerset, TA19
District: South Somerset
Civil Parish: Whitelackington
Traditional County: Somerset
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset
Church of England Parish: Whitelackington
Church of England Diocese: Bath and Wells
War memorial, early C20. Further plaque added after the Second World War.
War memorial, early C20. Further plaque added after Second World War.
MATERIALS: constructed of Ham stone.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial faces north and takes the form of a plain obelisk standing upon a square base of three steps. The base supports a rectangular plinth which has a chamfered base and a cornice. Its north face carries a recessed bronze plaque in a moulded surround which is inscribed: 1914 - 1918/ (NAMES)/ "THEY DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY". On the south face is an added bronze plaque, inscribed: 1939 - 1945/ (NAMES)/ "YE SHALL BE REMEMBERED/ BEFORE THE LORD YOUR GOD”/ NUMBERS, X. 9. Rising from the plinth is a tapering shaft which is ornamented on its north face with a bronze laurel wreath.
Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 ('the Act') it is declared that the late-C20 posts and rail which encircle the war memorial are not of special architectural or historic interest and are not included in the listing.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 14 December 2016.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was erected in Whitelackington to commemorate the four men of the village who died during the conflict. It is not known when it was erected, but it is likely to have been during the early 1920s. The memorial stands on a grassed area of in front (north) of the Church of St Mary the Virgin, adjacent to the road through the village. Following the Second World War a second dedicatory inscription was added to commemorate the two local men who died during that conflict.
The Whitelackington war memorial, dedicated in the 1920s, with Second World War additions, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of a world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: a simple, yet accomplished, war memorial which takes the form of an obelisk;
* Group value: it has a strong group value with the Grade II* listed church of St Mary the Virgin.
Other nearby listed buildings