This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4447 / 51°26'41"N
Longitude: 0.228 / 0°13'40"E
OS Eastings: 554928
OS Northings: 174105
OS Grid: TQ549741
Mapcode National: GBR VH.N55
Mapcode Global: VHHNT.WYWB
Entry Name: War Memorial in the churchyard of St Alban's Church
Listing Date: 14 November 2014
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1422533
Location: Dartford, Kent, DA1
Electoral Ward/Division: Newtown
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Bexley
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Dartford St Alban
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
War memorial. Erected in 1920 by Messrs G Maile and Son Ltd.
Located at the north-west corner of the church at the junction of St Alban's and Colney Roads, the memorial is in the form of a rough-hewn Celtic cross. It is made of grey Cornish granite, with a curved, boulder-like, plinth standing on a square, two stage base. The lower stage is of Portland stone and is a later addition. The front face of the cross bears a Sword of Sacrifice in relief. The front face of the plinth bears the following inscription: ‘THE/ GLORIOUS/ DEAD/ IN GRATEFUL AND LOVING/ MEMORY OF THE MEN/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WARS/ 1914-1919 1939-1945’.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 November 2016.
The memorial, the first to commemorate the fallen of the First World War in Dartford, was designed by Messrs G Maile and Son Ltd of 357 and 367 Euston Road, London, a company specialising in granite funerary monuments and which erected a large number of war memorials throughout the country. It was unveiled on 8 December 1920 by HRH The Duke of York. The inscription was subsequently altered to commemorate the Second World War. Originally located on the south side of the church, it was moved to the north-east corner in the late C20.
It was relatively unusual for a parish memorial not to bear the names of the fallen, perhaps in this case for reasons of cost or a wish to respond quickly, since the later town memorial bears around 350 names.
The war memorial in the church yard of St Alban's, Dartford, unveiled in 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: as a sombre and dignified memorial, relatively unusual for a parish memorial in not bearing the names of the fallen.
Other nearby listed buildings