This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.068 / 51°4'4"N
Longitude: -1.3152 / 1°18'54"W
OS Eastings: 448080
OS Northings: 130076
OS Grid: SU480300
Mapcode National: GBR 85V.Y13
Mapcode Global: FRA 8649.7H8
Entry Name: 27-30, 30a and 30b Hyde Street
Listing Date: 9 November 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1422729
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Bartholomew
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester, Hyde St Bartholomew
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
Nos. 27-30 and 30a and 30b
Terrace of six houses. Circa 1870. Flint and red brick. Clay plain tile roof with gabled ends. Brick axial and gable-end stacks.
PLAN: Terrace of six houses with three pairs of entrances at the front and of double-depth plan.
Victorian Tudor Gothic style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys and attic. 2:2:2:2:2:2 bay east front; first floor six pairs of sashes with margin glazing bars in chamfered brick openings with timber lintels; ground floor each house has large sash with margin glazing bars in chamfered brick opening with segmental arch and adjoining houses have a pair of brick Tudor arch doorways under 4-centred brick arch recess and flush-panel doors set back and with overlights; front has panels of flint with brick window and doorway frames, plinth and corbelled brick string course and eaves course continued on gable-end returns. Each house has a large dormer with overhanging braced gables on brackets, tile-hung and with 3-light casements with glazing bars.
Rear elevation not inspected.
INTERIOR: Staircases with turned column newels, stick balusters and moulded handrails. Simple chimneypieces with cast-iron arched fire grates.
HISTORY: the earliest documents known at present comprise an indenture of 1871 relating to the sale of these six cottages with attached forge from the Theobald family to William barrow Simonds (Hants CRO, ref 101/M91W/1). A good example of a High Victorian Tudor-Gothic style terrace of houses of flint and brick construction, with unusual paired doors, showing the increasing experimentation in design that was affecting smaller terraces of this type.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings