This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.0657 / 51°3'56"N
Longitude: -1.3158 / 1°18'56"W
OS Eastings: 448042
OS Northings: 129818
OS Grid: SU480298
Mapcode National: GBR 861.4EK
Mapcode Global: FRA 8649.F7H
Entry Name: 1-5 De Lunn Buildings
Listing Date: 9 November 2004
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1422732
Location: Winchester, Hampshire, SO23
Electoral Ward/Division: St Michael
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Winchester
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Winchester Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
Jewry Street (east side)
Nos. 1-5 De Lunn Buildings
Range of shops with flats above 1884; by Thomas Stopher of Winchester.
Red brick, stone shop fronts, tile-hung gables, timber and iron balconies and clay plain tile roof with stuccoed coved eaves cornice; brick chimneys at rear.
PLAN: Large range of five shops with flats above, on site with curved front; the south shop double-fronted with central entrance on corner.
Late Victorian Domestic Revival/ Old English style.
EXTERIOR: Three storeys. Five bays with curved front, right-hand bay projects. Projecting stone shops with debased Classical pilasters and entablatures support balconies with continuous iron balustrades and large canted first floor bay windows, over which the second floor windows also have balconies on large wooden brackets with iron balustrades and slender turned wooden posts carrying large tile-hung gables projecting from main roof. The projecting right-hand bays are treated differently and do not have a first floor balcony and the second floor balconies are paired under smaller gables; repeated on right-hand [south] return, splayed corners with colonnettes supporting large moulded corbels, the right-hand corner with small semi-circular corbelled balcony carried on a mask forming of the moulded four-centred arch and pilastered doorway below. Plain red brick rear elevation.
INTERIOR not inspected.
A good example of an elaborately designed late Victorian range of shops with flats over and most of the original features intact.
Other nearby listed buildings