This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1991 / 51°11'56"N
Longitude: -0.8186 / 0°49'6"W
OS Eastings: 482642
OS Northings: 145098
OS Grid: SU826450
Mapcode National: GBR DB8.PW9
Mapcode Global: VHDY7.R4M2
Entry Name: 12 The Street
Listing Date: 29 March 2006
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1423332
Location: Farnham, Waverley, Surrey, GU10
Civil Parish: Farnham
Built-Up Area: Farnham
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Wrecclesham
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
House, formerly farmhouse. Mainly mid C18 but retaining part of an earlier C17 building to the north. Built of brick in English bond to the east, Flemish bond to the sides and Sussex bond to the rear. Tiled roof with two end brick chimneystacks, the northern one larger and catslide roof to the rear. Two storeys with cellar to the southern end and three windows to the east.
PLAN: A three bay house with central entrance, end chimneystacks and integral full-width outshot to rear.
EXTERIOR: The east or entrance front has a brick modillion cornice. The windows are C20 oak casements with rubbed brick lintels and leaded lights, most with pintle hinges. The central doorcase has a moulded architrave and a flat hood on brackets with a six-panelled door, the top two panels glazed, the lower ones fielded. The north side is also of painted brick without window openings. The south side is tile-hung to the upper floor with two casement windows. The west or rear elevation has a C20 casement window.
INTERIOR: The northern ground floor room, originally the main living room and cooking source, now a sitting room, has an open fireplace with C17 brickwork and wooden bressumer with saltholes and wooden side seats. There is an axial beam with a lambs tongue stop. There is a two panelled door into the original Parlour, now Dining Room, to the south. This has a central axial beam and the walls have C18 wooden partitions of thin scantling originally plastered over and an early C19 built-in china cupboard with serpentine shelves. The rear outshot has exposed beams and a plank ledged door with forged metal hinges and latch. A C20 straight flight flight staircase leads to the upper floor which has original door architraves and some exposed beams. The roof structure of one raking queenstrut with carpenter's mark to the north and three upright queenposts with clasped purlins, rafters and rafters with ridgepiece survives intact. There is a cellar to the southern side accessed by winding stairs with a well and three niches for standing candles.
HISTORY: From documentary evidence this was an isolated freehold curtilage amongst copyhold curtilages of the Farnham manor of the Bishop of Winchester which were all mediaeval farmsteads and this site was probably also a farmstead. It appears to be shown on Rocque's 1768 map. On the 1839 and 1872 maps it is shown dwarfed by adjoining buildings some of which were in use as a malthouse with a reference to a hopkiln, but these adjoining buildings had been demolished by the mid C20. In the C19 it was called Leyland House. The ground floor retains evidence that there was once a one storeyed building attached. This was said to have been a butcher's shop which is shown in postcards of 1905 and 1910 but has since been demolished.
SUMMARY OF IMPORTANCE: A substantially intact mainly mid C18 brick house retaining its plan form of three bays with central entrance, end chimneystacks and integral outshot to rear, with an older open fireplace surviving from an earlier building on the site and other original features including a built-in china cupboard, doors and exposed beams.
SOURCES: "Domestic Buildings Research Group Surrey". Report no 4693. November 2004.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings