History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Didmarton War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Didmarton, Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5858 / 51°35'8"N

Longitude: -2.2576 / 2°15'27"W

OS Eastings: 382248

OS Northings: 187469

OS Grid: ST822874

Mapcode National: GBR 1PG.D1W

Mapcode Global: VH95P.TDCP

Entry Name: Didmarton War Memorial

Listing Date: 4 February 2015

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1423426

Location: Didmarton, Cotswold, Gloucestershire, GL9

County: Gloucestershire

District: Cotswold

Civil Parish: Didmarton

Built-Up Area: Didmarton

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Didmarton St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Didmarton

Summary

A war memorial, dating from circa 1921, architect unknown.

Description

A war memorial, dating from circa 1921, architect unknown.

MATERIALS: local limestone.

PLAN: the memorial’s base is circa 0.5m square.

DESCRIPTION: the structure takes the form of a cross circa 1.5m high, formed of an octagonal shaft extending into a cross of octagonal section, with flat terminals to the arms. The shaft is set directly into the slightly tapering, chamfered base with a moulded plinth. The south face of the base is inscribed: IN PROUD AND / GRATEFUL MEM / -ORY OF THOSE / FROM THIS PAR- / ISH WHO GAVE / THEIR LIVES IN / THE GREAT WAR / 1914 – 1918. On the east and west faces are the names of the Fallen, eight in total. The south side of the base carries the carved inscription: 1939 – 1945, followed by the names of the three men of the village who fell during the Second World War. The carved lettering on all faces is picked out in black paint, now faded. The base stands upon modern paving.

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.

History

The war memorial in Didmarton was erected in circa 1921. It commemorated the eight men of the village who had lost their lives during of the First World War. It was set up in the churchyard of the church of St Michael and All Angels, on the main road through the village. Following the second World War, the names of the three men who had died in that conflict were added to the memorial. In 1997, the church of St Michael was sold and converted to a dwelling, at which point the war memorial was moved from its churchyard to a prominent location on the roadside just outside the grounds of the church of St Lawrence, a short distance away.

Reasons for Listing

The war memorial at Didmarton is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.
* Group value: with the many nearby listed buildings, including the church of St Lawrence (Grade I), the medieval cross in its churchyard (Grade II) and St Lawrence’s well (Grade II).

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.