This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7215 / 51°43'17"N
Longitude: -2.1574 / 2°9'26"W
OS Eastings: 389225
OS Northings: 202547
OS Grid: SO892025
Mapcode National: GBR 1N1.1D5
Mapcode Global: VH94Z.KZBN
Entry Name: Chalford War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 February 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1423557
Location: Chalford, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL6
Civil Parish: Chalford
Built-Up Area: Chalford
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Chalford Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
A war memorial of 1920 date, designed and constructed by stonemason Omar Cottle with a distinctive Calvary cross design.
A war memorial of 1920 by Omar Cottle of Chalford. Repaired and restored in 1982.
MATERIALS: constructed of local limestone.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial is a freestanding cross with a hooded Calvary on a conical shaft set in a three-stepped square base. Above the carved figure of the crucified Christ is a carved open scroll with the text, INRI. Below the Calvary is a base with the text, LEST/YE/FORGET on the principal elevation facing London Road. The remaining faces of the base have applied metal plaques with the names of the fallen from the First World War, with an additional plaque on the face of one of the steps of the structure (156). On a lower step is a plaque with the names of the commemorated from the Second World War (16). On a step facing London Road is the following inscribed text, which has weathered considerably, TO THE HONOUR OF THE SON OF GOD WHO WENT FOR THE SALVATION/OF THE WORLD AND IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH AND/NEIGHBOURHOOD WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES FOR THE CAUSE OF/RIGHT AND FREEDOM IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 TO 1919.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 10 January 2017.
In November 1919, local stonemason Omar Cottle was commissioned to carve a memorial cross to be located in the churchyard of Christ Church, Chalford. The memorial was unveiled on 6 June 1920 and is shown on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1922. In 1981 the cross was broken by a falling yew tree branch during a blizzard. On its reconstruction the bronze name plaques were removed to the British Legion Club in Chalford Hill and new plaques were installed on the memorial that named 156 men of the parish and neighbouring area who died in the First World War, and 16 who lost their lives in the Second World War. The repair was carried out by Omar Cottle's son, also called Omar Cottle. The memorial was re-dedicated in 1982.
NB: In 1920 Omar Cottle established Cottle Memorials in Slad Road, Stroud, and in 2014 it continues to trade under the ownership of his grandson, stonemason Steve Cottle.
The war memorial in Chalford, of 1920 date by stonemason Omar Cottle, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a well-crafted Calvary cross design;
* Intactness: the memorial is intact, although it was repaired and restored in the 1980s;
* Group value: it makes a positive and important contribution to the street scene and groups well with the neighbouring listed buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings