This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.4884 / 50°29'18"N
Longitude: -3.6422 / 3°38'31"W
OS Eastings: 283599
OS Northings: 66690
OS Grid: SX835666
Mapcode National: GBR QN.WRXZ
Mapcode Global: FRA 378R.T0D
Entry Name: Ipplepen War Memorial
Listing Date: 27 January 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1423642
Location: Ipplepen, Teignbridge, Devon, TQ12
Civil Parish: Ipplepen
Built-Up Area: Ipplepen
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Ipplepen with Torbryan
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
A war memorial of 1920 date incorporating a medieval market cross.
A war memorial of 1920 by H. Read, incorporating a medieval market cross. It was altered in the 1940s.
MATERIALS: constructed of granite quarried at Swell Tor, near Princetown, Devon.
DESCRIPTION: a two-stepped octagonal base surmounted by a square, chamfered plinth, tapering shaft and latin cross. The south face of the plinth has the text, THIS ANCIENT CROSS/ WAS RESTORED TO THE PROUD MEMORY OF/ THE IPPLEPEN MEN WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 - 1919. The step below is inscribed with names of the fallen (23). The north face of the plinth has the text, ALSO/ OF THE ONES WHO FELL/ IN THE SECOND GREAT WAR/ 1939 – 1945, with the names (11) on the step below. The memorial is enclosed by steel railings and stone posts*.
* Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that these aforementioned features are not of special architectural or historic interest.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 8 December 2016.
The war memorial is a restored medieval market cross, apparently on the site of a market that was granted charter in 1317. It is marked on the Ordnance Survey Map of 1888 as Stone Cross (Remains of). A granite socket stone, which has been hollowed out for use as a trough, almost certainly the original base of the village cross is in the garden of The Priory (qv), approximately 250m to the north-west. The cross was restored by public subscription to the designs of H. Read, by the builder Mr Horn. It was unveiled and dedicated on 4 July 1920.
A boundary of stone posts and steel railings, and further dedications to the fallen, were added to the memorial after the Second World War. In 1992 one of the names was re-cut to correct a spelling mistake. In 2014, the Devon Remembers project gave a grant for the memorial to be restored. It was re-dedicated on 4th August 2014 as part of the centenary commemorations for the First World War.
Ipplepen war memorial, incorporating a medieval market cross, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet refined cross design, well-crafted in stone to incorporate a medieval market cross shaft;
* Intactness: the structure is unaltered, although it was restored and re-dedicated in 2014;
* Group value: it makes a positive and important contribution to the street scene and groups well with the neighbouring listed buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings