This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0846 / 52°5'4"N
Longitude: 0.182 / 0°10'55"E
OS Eastings: 549604
OS Northings: 245160
OS Grid: TL496451
Mapcode National: GBR MB7.BTP
Mapcode Global: VHHKQ.3VKV
Entry Name: Hinxton War Memorial
Listing Date: 16 February 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1424173
Location: Hinxton, South Cambridgeshire, Cambridgeshire, CB10
District: South Cambridgeshire
Civil Parish: Hinxton
Traditional County: Cambridgeshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cambridgeshire
Church of England Parish: Hinxton St Mary and St John
Church of England Diocese: Ely
War memorial, 1921 with later additions for the Second World War.
Of granite, the memorial takes the form of a 3m Celtic wheel cross on a tapered shaft mounted on a chamfered square plinth on a narrow base step. The front face of the cross and shaft is dressed and recessed. The cross bears an interwoven Celtic knot-work design carved in relief. The front and rear faces of the shaft, the plinth and plinth base step are incised with black-painted inscriptions.
The front face of the shaft bears the inscription IN MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF/ HINXTON/ WHO FELL / IN THE GREAT/ WAR 1914-1919
The front face of the plinth is inscribed with the names of the eight men killed in the First World War.
The front face of the base is inscribed THEIR NAME LIVETH FOREVER
The rear face of the plinth is inscribed 1939 – 1945 below which are the names of the four men killed in the Second World War.
The memorial is enclosed by a raised stone curb with a granite bollard at each corner. The bollards are connected by a metal rail fence; the ground around the memorial is covered with gravel.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 4 October 2017.
The war memorial was erected in 1921. After the Second World War, further names were added to commemorate the men who died in that conflict. Following a War Memorials Trust grant, the memorial was re-lettered and re-pointed in 2010.
Hinxton’s War Memorial, on the junction of the High Street and Church Green, is listed at Grade II for the following reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: a modest yet well executed memorial;
* Group value: three other listed structures stand around the road junction.
Other nearby listed buildings