History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Boundary wall to Heroncourt along Ford Lane and southern part of Aveley Lane

A Grade II Listed Building in Farnham, Surrey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1968 / 51°11'48"N

Longitude: -0.8018 / 0°48'6"W

OS Eastings: 483816

OS Northings: 144854

OS Grid: SU838448

Mapcode National: GBR DB9.VGX

Mapcode Global: VHDY8.15YW

Entry Name: Boundary wall to Heroncourt along Ford Lane and southern part of Aveley Lane

Listing Date: 11 March 2015

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1424593

Location: Farnham, Waverley, Surrey, GU10

County: Surrey

District: Waverley

Civil Parish: Farnham

Built-Up Area: Farnham

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey

Church of England Parish: The Bourne

Church of England Diocese: Guildford

Find accommodation in
Farnham

Summary

Boundary wall, the eastern part of C18 or early C19 date, the western part of circa 1900.

Description

Boundary wall, the eastern part of C18 or early C19 date, the western part of circa 1900.

MATERIALS: the eastern part is constructed of coursed ironstone and brick with a tiled cap, the western part is of brick with some stone details and cast iron railings.

DESCRIPTION: the eastern part comprises an L-shaped section of wall, the base of coursed ironstone with a mixture of red and yellow bricks above, in header bond to the corner, surmounted by a sloping tiled cap. At the corner two circa 1900 brick piers with gabled stone caps flank a vehicle entrance and at the western end is a cast iron mid-C20 letter box in a projecting brick surround.

The western part comprises a low red brick wall with a stone coping, and plain cast iron railings. There are end brick piers and two pedestrian entrances flanked by brick and stone piers, the eastern one with stone ball finials and C20 cast iron gates.

History

The eastern section of the wall is of C18 or early C19 date, built when the property was known as 'Bourne Farm'. The western part was constructed circa 1900 when the eastern wing was added and the property had been renamed 'Heroncourt'.

Reasons for Listing

The boundary wall to Heroncourt, part C18 or early C19 and part circa 1900, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reason:
* Group value: a subsidiary feature to Heroncourt, listed at Grade II; the wall mirrors in style and materials two construction phases of the main house.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.