This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1135 / 52°6'48"N
Longitude: -1.0528 / 1°3'10"W
OS Eastings: 464957
OS Northings: 246556
OS Grid: SP649465
Mapcode National: GBR 9W8.JN5
Mapcode Global: VHCW6.P4SL
Entry Name: Abthorpe Memorial Cross
Listing Date: 6 March 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1425058
Location: Abthorpe, South Northamptonshire, Northamptonshire, NN12
District: South Northamptonshire
Civil Parish: Abthorpe
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Abthorpe St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
War memorial unveiled 1920, with later additions.
The memorial stands on the east wall of the churchyard of the Grade II-listed church of St John, facing on to the village green. It comprises a 3m high Weldon stone cross, with an inverted sword running down the front face. At the bottom of the shaft is a small raised shield bearing the cross of St George. The cross rises from an octagonal plinth, set on an octagonal base.
The plinth carries an inscription carved in relief reading TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN LOVING MEMORY/ (6 NAMES)/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THE DEFENCE OF OUR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918/ ALSO (the names of those who served and returned are inscribed on a square stone beneath a hood mould set in the churchyard wall beneath the memorial).
A metal plaque installed in 2005 on the upper stage of the base repeats the principal wording on the plinth. The name of one man who fell in the Second World War was added to the monument after that conflict.
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/10/2015
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 17 January 2017.
The memorial was unveiled on 31 October 1920 by Sir Richard Atkins.
Abthorpe Memorial Cross, which stands on the churchyard wall of St John's Church, is listed at Grade II for the following reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: a well-executed medieval-style cross;
* Group value: with the Grade II-listed church of St John.
Other nearby listed buildings