This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.6678 / 50°40'4"N
Longitude: -3.6212 / 3°37'16"W
OS Eastings: 285523
OS Northings: 86602
OS Grid: SX855866
Mapcode National: GBR QP.QC9C
Mapcode Global: FRA 3799.P25
Entry Name: Doddiscombsleigh War Memorial
Listing Date: 17 April 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1425447
Location: Doddiscombsleigh, Teignbridge, Devon, EX6
Civil Parish: Doddiscombsleigh
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Doddiscombsleigh St Michael
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
Doddiscombsleigh war memorial, erected shortly after 1918.
War memorial. Erected shortly after 1918.
DESCRIPTION: a roughly-hewn obelisk, standing on a plinth, on an octagonal base of two steps. The plinth is smooth on three sides, to carry the incised inscriptions: the names and ranks of the First World War dead appear beneath three Latin headings: ‘Pro Nobis’, ‘Pro Patria’, ‘Pro Deo’. On the fourth side, a smoothed panel bears the names of those who fell in the Second World War.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 8 December 2016.
The war memorial is understood to have been erected shortly after 1918, to commemorate men of the parish of Doddiscombsleigh who fell during the First World War of 1914-1918; the names of the two men lost in the Second World War of 1939-1945 were added later. The memorial stands in a triangular green area at the centre of Doddiscombsleigh.
Doddiscombsleigh war memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: for the simple, muscular design of the roughly-hewn granite obelisk, which makes a striking focus within the village;
* Group value: with listed buildings in the immediate vicinity, dating from the C17 and earlier: Down Thatch Oak Cottage, Little Court, and Straitland Cottage with its adjacent threshing barn.
Other nearby listed buildings