This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5156 / 51°30'56"N
Longitude: -2.434 / 2°26'2"W
OS Eastings: 369981
OS Northings: 179725
OS Grid: ST699797
Mapcode National: GBR JY.HNG2
Mapcode Global: VH88J.R5MF
Entry Name: Westerleigh War Memorial
Listing Date: 17 April 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1425484
Location: Westerleigh, South Gloucestershire, BS37
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Westerleigh
Built-Up Area: Westerleigh
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Yate
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
Westerleigh war memorial, thought to have been erected shortly after 1918.
War memorial. Circa 1919. The plinth carries the name ‘Bodmin Granite Company’.
DESCRIPTION: a Celtic cross, standing on a roughly-hewn plinth, with a base beneath. The west face of the plinth is smoothed to carry the incised inscription of the names of the six men, all privates, who fell in the Great War. Beneath the names are the lines ‘The blood of heroes is / the seed of freedom.’
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.
The war memorial is understood to have been erected shortly after 1918, to commemorate the men of the parish of Westerleigh who fell during the First World War of 1914-1918. The memorial stands on the village green, to the north of the Church of St James.
Westerleigh war memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20
* Design: for its bold and simple design, taking the form of a Celtic cross in roughly hewn granite, on a well-proportioned plinth;
* Group value: with the Church of St James, listed at Grade I, the numerous listed monuments standing within the churchyard, and other nearby listed buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings