This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5929 / 51°35'34"N
Longitude: -2.4799 / 2°28'47"W
OS Eastings: 366851
OS Northings: 188334
OS Grid: ST668883
Mapcode National: GBR JW.BWD4
Mapcode Global: VH883.Y7V7
Entry Name: Tytherington War Memorial
Listing Date: 16 April 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1425486
Location: Tytherington, South Gloucestershire, GL12
County: South Gloucestershire
Civil Parish: Tytherington
Built-Up Area: Tytherington
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire
Church of England Parish: Tytherington St James
Church of England Diocese: Gloucester
Tytherington War Memorial, erected in 1921.
War memorial, 1921. The builder was F K Howell.
MATERIAL: the main part of the memorial is of granite; the lowest block is of stone from Tytherington quarry.
DESCRIPTION: a Celtic cross, standing on a squared plinth, the whole resting on a tall roughly-hewn block. The centre and arms of the cross are embellished with raised circles. The faces of the plinth carry smoothed rectangular panels to bear the raised brass lettering of the inscriptions. The inscription on the south face reads: ‘To the glory of God in thankfulness for Victory and Peace. And in ever living thankfulness for the men of this parish who gave their lives for their king and country in the European War 1914-1918 and whose names are inscribed hereon.’ The west and east sides carry the names of the First World War dead, with those who died in the Second World War are added on the north face.
The war memorial, commemorating the twelve men of Tytherington who fell during the First World War of 1914-1918, was unveiled in 1921 by the Bishop of Gloucester. The builder was F K Howell. The four names of those who died in the Second World War of 1939-1945 were added later. The memorial stands at the southernmost corner of the churchyard of the Church of St James.
The war memorial at Tytherington is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historical: as a poignant reminder of the tragic impact of world events upon this rural community;
* Design: for its bold, considered design, incorporating a block of local stone, and making a striking addition to the churchyard in which it is set;
* Group Value: with the Church of St James, listed at Grade II*, and with numerous listed monuments standing within the churchyard.
Other nearby listed buildings