This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7476 / 51°44'51"N
Longitude: -0.3378 / 0°20'16"W
OS Eastings: 514847
OS Northings: 206744
OS Grid: TL148067
Mapcode National: GBR H89.CF4
Mapcode Global: VHGPQ.3B8M
Entry Name: War Memorial Plaque attached to 1 Bardwell Road and 22 Thorpe Road
Listing Date: 9 June 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1425765
Location: St. Albans, Hertfordshire, AL1
District: St. Albans
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peters
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: St Albans
Traditional County: Hertfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire
Church of England Parish: Abbey Parish of St Albans
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
War Memorial plaque, unveiled 1920 by Bishop of St Albans, Dr Michael Furse. The dwellings to which the plaque is attached are excluded from the listing.
War memorial plaque, unveiled 1920 by Bishop of St Albans, Dr Michael Furse
DESCRIPTION: the stone memorial comprises three rectangular tablets each resting on a small stone bracket, with a shallow triangular hood sitting above all three. The memorial is set into the front wall of the dwellings which form 1 Bardwell Road and 22 Thorpe Road*. Two tablets are inscribed with 6 names of those who lost their lives in the First World War; the central tablet depicts a cross.
The inscription on the triangular hood reads: ‘FOR REMEMBERANCE/ 1914-1918’. The left hand tablet reads: ‘THORPE/ROAD/ARTHUR CATHARD/ERNEST WALDOCK’. The right hand tablet reads: ‘BARDWELL/ ROAD/SIDNEY LAUCHLAND/HARRY SKINNER/WILLIAM SKINNER/HERBERT SUTTON’.
*Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that the dwellings which form 1 Bardwell Road and 22 Thorpe Road are not of special architectural or historic interest.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 12 January 2017.
The concept of commemorating war dead did not develop to any great extent until towards the end of the C19. Prior to then memorials were rare and mainly dedicated to individual officers, or sometimes regiments. The first large-scale erection of war memorials dedicated to the ordinary soldier followed the Second Boer War of 1899-1902, which was the first major war following reforms to the British Army which led to regiments being recruited from local communities and with volunteer soldiers. However, it was the aftermath of the First World War that was the great age of memorial building, both as a result of the huge impact the loss of three quarters of a million British lives had on communities and the official policy of not repatriating the dead, which meant that the memorials provided the main focus of the grief felt at this great loss.
The war memorial attached to the junction between 1 Bardwell Road and 22 Thorpe Road is one of forty war memorials in St Albans, dedicated to those who fell in the First World War and one of ten mounted on houses in the Abbey Parish of St Albans. Those mounted on houses were unveiled in 1920 and 1921 to commemorate more then 110 men who came from a small group of streets clustered around the Abbey. Those who went to war from these streets were men of the parish of St Albans Abbey. It is not clear where the idea for the St Albans street plaques came from but Canon George Glossop, who served the abbey for 40 years until 1925 certainly promoted the plan. Locally they are known as The Canon Glossop Memorials. Records indicate that Abbey curate, The Rev Harry Evans, made street collections to fund the scheme. Generally plaques are mounted on a house from which a man was lost. Following the dedication of the first memorial in Albert Street in the spring of 1920, the next three plaques in Bardwell Road, Pageant Road and Sopwell Lane were dedicated in summer the same year by the Bishop of St Albans, Dr Michael Furse.
The war memorial plaque attached to 1 Bardwell Road and 22 Thorpe Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the First World War;
* Rarity: as one of a rare group of commemorative plaques, which survive well and which offer a relatively private memorial compared to the usual more public monuments often placed in prominent locations;
* Group value: as one of eight surviving memorials forming a significant and rare group.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings