This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.3236 / 51°19'24"N
Longitude: -0.5721 / 0°34'19"W
OS Eastings: 499596
OS Northings: 159246
OS Grid: SU995592
Mapcode National: GBR FBD.S7G
Mapcode Global: VHFV2.1ZFP
Entry Name: Horsell War Memorial
Listing Date: 27 May 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1425786
Location: Woking, Surrey, GU21
Electoral Ward/Division: Horsell
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Woking
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Horsell
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
Horsell War Memorial, unveiled on 3 September 1920, located on the High Street in Horsell village.
The war memorial stands in a prominent location on the High Street in Horsell. It is c6m high and comprises a Portland stone octagonal cross and wheel on an octagonal shaft set on a cruciform plinth on a three-stepped base. On the plinth are projecting panels with three faces inscribed with the names of 58 men who lost their lives in the war. On the south face the inscription reads: 1914-1918/ REMEMBERED/ WITH THANKSGIVING THE/ TRUE AND FAITHFUL MEN/ WHO IN THESE YEARS OF WAR/ WENT FORTH FORM THIS PLACE/ FOR GOD AND THEIR COUNTRY/ THE NAMES OF THOSE WHO/ RETURNED NOT AGAIN ARE/ HERE INSCRIBED/ TO BE HONOURED EVERMORE.
The memorial stands in a paved stone semi-circular enclosure accessed by two steps. The enclosure is formed of a low red brick wall with a tile coursing comprising three tiles. The wall is c1m high topped with a yew hedge which serves to frame the memorial.
On the outside south wall of the enclosure facing the High Street is a small plaque which is inscribed: PASS NOT THIS STONE IN SORROW/ BUT IN PRIDE/ AND STRIVE TO LIVE AS NOBLY/ AS THEY DIED.
A rectangular stone plaque measuring some 5 by 1m was later fixed to the south face of the enclosure wall and is inscribed with: THAT THEIR NAMES BE FOR EVER REMEMBERED IN GRATITUDE & HONOUR/ 1939-1945. Underneath are inscribed the names of 43 men who lost their lives in the Second World War.
Within the enclosure lining the High Street are traffic bollards which protect the memorial and planters which are not included in the listing.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 6 December 2016.
The memorial originally commemorated those men of Horsell who gave their lives in the First World War. It was created by Arthur Stratton (1872-1955), an architect and lecturer at King’s College London, who wrote several books on architecture and was a champion of the Tudor style. The memorial is set within a red brick semi-circular enclosure with tile coursing in the Surrey vernacular style. On the outside of the wall facing the High Street is a small plaque which is also contemporary with the memorial; its inscription is seen on a number of other war memorials.
The memorial was unveiled on 3 September 1920 by Colonel Churchill and was dedicated by the Bishop of Guildford, John Hugh Granville Randolph (1866-1936). A photograph survives which shows the dedication ceremony with the gathered crowd including Norman Pares, the vicar of the Church of St Mary the Virgin, Horsell.
An inscription was added to the wall of the memorial’s semi-circular enclosure commemorating those who lost their lives in the Second World War. The memorial was cleaned and the letters were recut in 1989.
Horsell war memorial, Woking, unveiled on 3 September 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: as an elegant and well-proportioned Portland Stone octagonal cross and wheel;
* Designer: designed by Arthur Stratton (1872-1955), architect and lecturer at King’s College London, who wrote several books on the styles of English architecture.
Other nearby listed buildings