History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Falfield War Memorial

A Grade II Listed Building in Falfield, South Gloucestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6372 / 51°38'14"N

Longitude: -2.4593 / 2°27'33"W

OS Eastings: 368311

OS Northings: 193257

OS Grid: ST683932

Mapcode National: GBR JX.822K

Mapcode Global: VH87Y.B37Q

Entry Name: Falfield War Memorial

Listing Date: 2 April 2015

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1426066

Location: Falfield, South Gloucestershire, GL12

County: South Gloucestershire

Civil Parish: Falfield

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Falfield St George

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Falfield

Summary

A First World War Memorial erected in 1921 in memory of the men of the parish who lost their lives whilst serving their country in the First World War, and subsequently also those who lost their lives whilst serving their country in the Second World War.

Description

A First World War Memorial erected in 1921 in memory of the men of the parish who lost their lives whilst serving their country in the First World War, and subsequently also those who lost their lives whilst serving their country in the Second World War.

The memorial, with a total height of c2.7m, is constructed in stone, in the shape of a calvary cross set on and octagonal shaped column. This is surmounting a square base, with bronze plaques to its four faces, and placed on a three stepped octagonal base. The memorial is placed on a raised, horseshoe-shaped platform, paved in stone slabs, enclosed by a low curved stone wall to rear, and with three decorative bollards holding a cast iron chain to the front.

Each of the four bronze plaques is inscribed. That to the front (probably amended or replacing an earlier bronze plaque that only referred to the First World War) reads:

IN MEMORY OF THOSE BRAVE / MEN OF FALFIELD WHO, / IN THE GREAT WARS OF / 1914-1918 and 1939-1945, / FELL IN THEIR COUNTRY'S CAUSE.

The other three read:

1914 - 1918 / (7 names with rank)

1914 -1918 / (6 names with rank)

1939-1945 / (4 names with rank)


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.

History

A First World War memorial erected in 1921 in memory of the thirteen men of the parish who lost their lives whilst serving their country in the First World WarThe funds for its erection were raised by a Committee of Parishioners. The memorial was originally located on Sundayshill, at the T-junction with Sundayshill Lane. After the Second World War four bronze plaques were added to the memorial base, probably replacing earlier plaques, in order to commemorate a further four men who lost their lives whilst serving their country during that conflict. In 1948 bollards and chains were erected around the memorial.

In 1964 the war memorial was relocated c 25m to the north-east, due to the improvements to the A38, then known as the Exeter to Leeds trunk-road. The land was purchased from the Diocese by Falfield parish council. A memorial service continues to be held every year at the war memorial.

Reasons for Listing

Falfield war memorial, erected in 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: a simple yet refined column with a calvary cross design, well-crafted in stone, given prominence by its wall enclosed horse-shoe shaped platform with decorative bollards and cast iron chain;
* Intactness: despite the fact it has been re-located, the structure is mostly unaltered and it retains a prominent position within the parish;
* Group value: it makes a positive and important contribution to the street scene and groups well with the neighbouring listed church of St George.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.