This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3591 / 51°21'32"N
Longitude: -0.3393 / 0°20'21"W
OS Eastings: 515725
OS Northings: 163537
OS Grid: TQ157635
Mapcode National: GBR 6K.359
Mapcode Global: VHGRN.23HF
Entry Name: Claygate War Memorial, Surrey
Listing Date: 4 June 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1426566
Location: Claygate, Elmbridge, Surrey, KT10
Civil Parish: Claygate
Built-Up Area: Esher
Traditional County: Surrey
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Surrey
Church of England Parish: Claygate
Church of England Diocese: Guildford
First World War memorial, 1921.
The memorial stands in a small memorial garden to the north of the Church of Holy Trinity (Grade II), fronting Church Street. It takes the form of a stone fleur-de-lys cross on an octagonal, tapering shaft which is approximately 5m high. The centre of the cross is pierced by a carved quatrefoil. Marking the transition from the cross to the shaft are four Gothic style arches, each containing a blind trefoil. The moulded foot of the shaft stands on an octagonal plinth.
The names of those who died are incised and painted on four sides of the plinth within protruding rectangular alcoves. The remaining four sides feature bell shaped concaves which culminate at the base of the plinth, where there is a general dedication in raised Gothic style lettering. The inscription reads TO THE MEMORY/ OF THE MEN/ OF THIS VILLAGE/ WHO FELL IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR/ EVERMORE. The plinth is set on a two-stepped octagonal base.
The small memorial garden is surrounded by hedges on three sides and a railing along the pavement. Set in the paving in front of the memorial is a plaque recording the war memorial’s restoration: 1952-2012/ THE CLAYGATE WAR MEMORIAL WAS REFURBISHED TO COMMEMORATE/ THE/ DIAMOND JUBILEE/ OF THE ACCESSION OF/ HM QUEEN ELIZABETH II/ AND THE CENTENARY OF/ THE OUTBREAK OF/ WORLD WAR I/ 1914-2014.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 5 December 2016.
Claygate War Memorial lists the names of the 44 men of Claygate who lost their lives during the First World War. The memorial was unveiled on 6 March 1921 by the Earl of Onslow. In 2012 new paving stones and a plaque were laid, dedicated to the Diamond Jubilee and the centenary of the First World War.
Claygate War Memorial, which stands on Church Road in front of the Church of Holy Trinity, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community and the sacrifice it made in the First World War;
* Group value: with the Grade II-listed Church of Holy Trinity.
Other nearby listed buildings