This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.352 / 52°21'7"N
Longitude: -0.8469 / 0°50'48"W
OS Eastings: 478634
OS Northings: 273285
OS Grid: SP786732
Mapcode National: GBR BTZ.GPL
Mapcode Global: VHDRM.84MS
Entry Name: Old Memorial Cross
Listing Date: 9 June 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1426586
Location: Old, Daventry, Northamptonshire, NN6
Civil Parish: Old
Traditional County: Northamptonshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northamptonshire
Church of England Parish: Wold St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Peterborough
First World War memorial unveiled 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
The 3m high war memorial comprises a freestanding Weldon stone cross. The cross has a foliated head on a tapering shaft set on a square stone plinth. The front of the plinth bears the carved inscription TO THE GLORIOUS MEMORY OF/ THE MEN FROM THIS PARISH/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR./ 1914 - 1919/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. Names are inscribed on the side panels.
A slate plaque has been inserted to the rear face of the plinth. This carries the inscription ALSO IN MEMORY OF THE MEN/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE WAR/ 1939-1945./ (NAMES)/ "GRANT THEM O LORD ETERNAL REST,/ AND LET LIGHT PERPETUAL SHINE UPON THEM."
The plinth is set on a two-stepped octagonal base, the whole standing within an octagonal railed enclosure on a small green triangle on Harrington Road at the head of Faxton End, opposite the Old Rectory (Grade II).
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 14/10/2015
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 January 2017.
The memorial was unveiled in September 1921 by Lt.-Col. John Brown. It commemorates the servicemen from the parish who died during the First World War. Details for the Second World War were later added.
Old Memorial Cross, on Harrington Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: a well-carved limestone cross;
* Group value: with the Grade II-listed Old Rectory.
Other nearby listed buildings