This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2262 / 51°13'34"N
Longitude: 0.4321 / 0°25'55"E
OS Eastings: 569920
OS Northings: 150258
OS Grid: TQ699502
Mapcode National: GBR NQC.22J
Mapcode Global: VHJMK.FFTT
Entry Name: Yalding Memorial Cross
Listing Date: 4 August 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1427690
Location: Yalding, Maidstone, Kent, ME18
Civil Parish: Yalding
Built-Up Area: Yalding
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Yalding St Peter and St Paul
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands within an octagonal enclosure of low ragstone walls on the west side of The Green. It is surrounded by The Village Lockup, Cleaves Hall and Cleaves House, and Walnut Tree Cottages (all Grade II-listed). The walled enclosure is open on the south side and incorporates seating on three sides internally. It is paved with ragstone setts and freestone blocks. A bronze sword, reversed, decorates the front face of the tall stone cross. The octagonal cross shaft, with a plainly moulded foot, stands on an octagonal plinth and base. Three stone steps lead up to the memorial from the pavement.
The principal dedication is carved into the front face of the plinth. This reads TO THE/ GLORIOUS/ DEAD/ OF THIS/ PARISH/ 1914 – 1918. Originally the commemorated names were also carved into the plinth’s faces, but these have been covered with bronze plaques. Those for the First World War all begin 1914 – 1918 and list the names of the 40 servicemen who died, arranged by regiment or corps. The plaque for the Second World War begins 1939 – 1945 and lists the names alphabetically, including three civilians amongst the 14 servicemen.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 30 November 2016.
Yalding War Memorial was built in remembrance of the men of the parish who died fighting in the First World War. It was unveiled on 31 October 1920 by Lt Col AD Borton VC CMG DSO, and dedicated by the Bishop of Rochester. Eleven days later on Armistice Day, Borton performed the service of pall-bearer at the burial of the Unknown Warrior at Westminster Abbey.
The architect was Cecil Burns FRIBA (1883-1969), best known for his hospitals in Tunbridge Wells and Canterbury and also responsible for the Grade II-listed Tunbridge Wells and Counties Club (1909). Burn’s brother, Captain Edgar Balfour Burns, lived in Yalding. Burns himself had also served in the First World War. The builder was Burslems of Tunbridge Wells.
The memorial was re-dedicated on 27 July 1952, with additional names for the Second World War, including three civilians who were killed as a result of enemy action. Bronze plaques were later fixed to the plinth, covering the weathered inscriptions. Repairs were carried out in 2010, including the insertion of some new stone to the top step, funded by War Memorials Trust.
Yalding War Memorial, which stands at the junction of the High Street and Vicarage Road on the edge of The Green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Group value: with a number of surrounding buildings all listed at Grade II, including the Village Lockup on The Green.
Other nearby listed buildings