This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9057 / 52°54'20"N
Longitude: -1.3815 / 1°22'53"W
OS Eastings: 441695
OS Northings: 334430
OS Grid: SK416344
Mapcode National: GBR 7GH.ZGH
Mapcode Global: WHDH1.R7B8
Entry Name: War Memorial, St Stephen's Churchyard
Listing Date: 29 January 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1428736
Location: Ockbrook and Borrowash, Erewash, Derbyshire, DE72
Civil Parish: Ockbrook and Borrowash
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Ockbrook All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Derby
First World War memorial, erected 1920.
First World War memorial, erected 1920, with stonework by Samuel Hodgkinson of Borrowash and a bronze sculpture of the crucified Christ by Alfred Mowbray and Company of Oxford.
MATERIALS: its base and plinth are of sandstone, the cross is of oak and the canopy was re-covered with slate in the early C21.
PLAN: it is octagonal on plan.
DESCRIPTION: the memorial faces north-west and takes the forms of a calvary cross. It comprises a two-step base, a deep plinth and a canopied oak cross supporting a bronze sculpture of the crucified Christ. The north-west face of the plinth is inscribed: ‘IN / GRATEFUL MEMORY OF / THE HEROIC DEAD / 1914 – 1919’. A second inscription at the base of the plinth reads: ‘GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, / THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS’. No names are recorded on the memorial.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was unveiled in October 1920 in churchyard of St Stephen’s in Borrowash to commemorate the men of the church who fought and died during the conflict. It takes the form of a calvary cross and comprises stonework by Samuel Hodgkinson of Borrowash and a bronze sculpture of the crucified Christ by Alfred Mowbray and Company of Oxford.
The First World War memorial in St Stephen's churchyard, Borrowash, erected in 1920, is listed Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: as a dignified wooden cross memorial with affixed bronze sculpture of the crucified Christ.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings