This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1833 / 53°10'59"N
Longitude: -1.3202 / 1°19'12"W
OS Eastings: 445523
OS Northings: 365352
OS Grid: SK455653
Mapcode National: GBR 7C9.H1B
Mapcode Global: WHDFQ.P7JY
Entry Name: Ault Hucknall War Memorial
Listing Date: 22 September 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1429138
Location: Ault Hucknall, Bolsover, Derbyshire, S44
Civil Parish: Ault Hucknall
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Ault Hucknall St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Derby
First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial stands on a small green at the junction of three roads near Stainsby Mill (Grade II-listed). Approximately 3m tall, it is built of Stancliffe stone from Darley Dale and consists of an obelisk rising from the shallow cornice of a square plinth. The plinth stands on a square, three-stepped, base. Previously railed, the area around the memorial is gravelled and now enclosed by a chain suspended from nine timber posts.
An inscription on the south face of the obelisk reads THE/ GLORIOUS DEAD/ 1914 – 1918, and on the east face THE/ GLORIOUS DEAD/ 1939 – 1945. The plinth bears the dedicatory inscriptions and commemorated names:
(south face) ERECTED IN GRATEFUL AND LOVING MEMORY/ TO THE BRAVE MEN OF AULT HUCKNALL/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR/ (14 NAMES)
(north face) (18 NAMES)/ THEIR NAMES SHALL ENDURE FOR EVER.
(east face) (7 NAMES)
All the inscriptions are incised and filled with black paint.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.
In April 1919 a War Memorial Committee was formed to consider the recommendation of Ault Hucknall Annual Parish Meeting that a local war memorial be raised. The Committee applied for a suitable piece of land for a memorial cross, in the road junction near Stainsby Mill. This plot was gifted by the Duke of Devonshire for the purpose.
The memorial was executed by George Platts of Stainsby, who was also responsible for the war memorials at Danesmoor, Dronfield and New Houghton (all in Derbyshire). It was unveiled at a very well-attended Parade Service by the Marquess of Hartington on 14 November 1920. An additional inscription commemorating those who fell in the Second World War was added to the memorial following that conflict.
Ault Hucknall War Memorial, situated at the junction of Mill Lane and Hodmire Lane in Ault Hucknall, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reason:
* Historic Interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this local community, and the sacrifice it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: an imposing obelisk in the Classical style.
Other nearby listed buildings