This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7373 / 51°44'14"N
Longitude: -0.5872 / 0°35'13"W
OS Eastings: 497652
OS Northings: 205235
OS Grid: SP976052
Mapcode National: GBR F5J.2C4
Mapcode Global: VHFS3.RLYJ
Entry Name: Ashley Green War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 January 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1430077
Location: Ashley Green, Chiltern, Buckinghamshire, HP5
Civil Parish: Ashley Green
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Buckinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Great Chesham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
A war memorial, of 1920, by stonemasons J Underwood and Son. The memorial stands upon an octagonal plinth and three-stepped base.
War memorial, of 1920, by stonemasons J Underwood and Son.
The memorial, set on a grassed area, outside the church of St John The Evangelist (Grade II*, NHLE 1124856) comprises a Latin cross in Portland stone which stands upon an octagonal plinth and a three-stepped octagonal base. The memorial is approximately 3 metres high and includes foliate details carved along the top of the plinth and around the shaft of the cross.
The north face of the plinth is inscribed and reads: TO the/ GLORY OF GOD/ and in/ HONOURED/ MEMORY of/ the MEN of/ THIS PARISH/ who fell in the/ GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919. An inscription along the bottom of the three panels of the north, north-east and north-west faces reads: THEIR NAME/ LIVETH FOR/ EVERMORE.
The names of the twenty-two men who died are listed on panels of the north-east and north-west faces of the plinth. The southern facing panel is inscribed with the names of four men who died during the Second World War beneath the dates 1939-1945. All text is incised and was painted black during repairs in 2012.
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Online. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 11 January 2017.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. The War Memorial is a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by members of the local community who lost their lives in the First and Second World Wars. It was unveiled by Major Macleod and dedicated by the Rural Dean, the Reverend S C A Whittington on 8 May 1920. The memorial was designed and made by stonemasons J Underwood and Son of Baker Street, London. Names of the fallen from the Second World War were added later. The memorial was repaired in 2012.
Ashley Green War Memorial, of 1920, by J Underwood and Son is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design/Aesthetic interest: a well-executed and ornate memorial designed and made by stonemasons J Underwood and Son;
* Group Value: it stands on a grassed area, outside the Grade II* church of St John the Evangelist (National Heritage List for England 1124856) and is within the vicinity of other listed heritage assets.
Other nearby listed buildings