This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8144 / 51°48'51"N
Longitude: -1.626 / 1°37'33"W
OS Eastings: 425877
OS Northings: 212933
OS Grid: SP258129
Mapcode National: GBR 5SW.9PZ
Mapcode Global: VHBZS.RNRF
Entry Name: Fulbrook War Memorial
Listing Date: 6 November 2015
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1430542
Location: Fulbrook, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Fulbrook
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Fulbrook
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
First World War memorial, 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.
The memorial, of Taynton limestone, consists of a small, blind, wheel-head cross rising from a lantern set on a tall, tapering, square shaft. That stands on a four-stage plinth and two-stepped base.
An inscription on the front face of the plinth reads THESE/ ARE THE MEN/ FROM/ FULBROOK/ WHO DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE/ 1914 – 1918/ FAITHFUL UNTO DEATH, with the names of those who fell in the First World War carved into the two flanking faces. In addition, an inscription on the rear of the plinth reads 1939 – 1945, with the names of those who fell in the Second World War listed below, followed by the inscription THEY SHALL GROW NOT OLD. All of the inscriptions are incised.
The memorial stands in a square sunken enclosure with one step on the northern side. Originally this was defined by a low perimeter wall of limestone with rough-hewn coping stones. It is now surrounded by dark stone paving and a low wall with flat limestone coping bearing 13 metal posts carrying a chain. A paved area surrounds the whole, with a wooden bench to the south, metal bollards at three corners and a tree at the fourth (south-east) corner. The modern posts and chain, bench and bollards are not of special interest.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 10 November 2017.
Fulbrook War Memorial was erected in 1922, funded by public subscription, to commemorate the servicemen from the village who died fighting during the First World War. An inscription was added commemorating those who fell in the Second World War, following the end of that conflict. Originally sited on a grass mound, a sunken hard-standing perimeter was created in 1955. Conservation and repair work was carried out in 2006, funded by War Memorials Trust, including renovations to stonework and the installation of a drain.
Fulbrook War Memorial, situated at the junction of Meadow Lane and The Rickyard (A361), is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Group value: with the Grade II-listed Pytts Barn.
Other nearby listed buildings