This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.8988 / 52°53'55"N
Longitude: -1.4867 / 1°29'12"W
OS Eastings: 434623
OS Northings: 333602
OS Grid: SK346336
Mapcode National: GBR PHQ.67
Mapcode Global: WHDH0.4D9L
Entry Name: War memorial at St Giles' Church, Normanton, Derby.
Listing Date: 14 March 2016
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1431385
Location: Derby, DE23
County: City of Derby
Electoral Ward/Division: Normanton
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Derby
Traditional County: Derbyshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire
Church of England Parish: Normanton-by-Derby St Giles
Church of England Diocese: Derby
War Memorial. Erected in July 1922.
The memorial stands in the churchyard to the north of St Giles' Church, Normanton in Derby. It is made of ashlar sandstone, and takes the form of a modified Celtic cross, the linking radial sections of the cross being angular rather than curved. The tapered rectangular shaft has a low socket with miniature gables, angle buttresses, and a carved shield to its north face, surmounted by a cross. The shaft rises from a deep chamfered base stone, the north face of which bears the inscription 'TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF THIS/ PARISH WHO FELL IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919.' The base stone stands on a stepped plinth, the deep upper step of which is made up of large ashlar blocks bearing the names of the seventy-eight fallen, listed in alphabetical order on each of the four faces.
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.
The war memorial stands in the churchyard of St Giles' Church at Normanton in Derby, which was the garrison church of the nearby Normanton Barracks, headquarters of the Sherwood Foresters Regiment. It was unveiled by Lieutenant-General The Rt. Honourable Sir Frederick Charles Shaw of Normanton House, Derby on the 30th July 1922.
The memorial, created by masons James Beresford and Sons of Belper, Derbyshire, was designed by Derby architects Naylor and Sale. The principal memorial to the Sherwood Foresters regiment is located at Crich Stand in Derbyshire, whilst the memorial at Normanton commemorates those men of the parish who gave their lives in the First World War.
The War Memorial which is situated in the churchyard of St Giles Church, Normanton in Derby, was unveiled in July 1922 and is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Design: a modest yet well- executed memorial.
* Military associations: the memorial stands in a location with strong associations with the Sherwood Foresters Regiment, St Giles' Church having been the garrison church for the regiment, and the regimental barracks being formerly located close by.
Other nearby listed buildings